A massive winter storm has dumped more than 2 meters (7 feet) of snow on parts of central Japan, stranding motorists in their cars. Some people have been stuck for 40 hours, and more heavy snowfall is expected.
At least 1,000 vehicles on a stretch of the Kan-Etsu highway running through Niigata prefecture northwest of Tokyo were trapped by heavy snowfall on Thursday night into Friday, as a winter storm buried much of central Japan under meters of snow.
Dozens of emergency service personnel cleared snow from vehicles and provided food, fuel, blankets and portable toilets to people were stuck overnight Thursday into Friday morning.
East Nippon Expressway President Obata Toru told a press conference on Friday that 670 vehicles were still stuck as of 3 p.m. (0600 UTC), public broadcaster NHK reported.
Disaster management officials said they were working to evacuate stranded motorists to nearby hotels by the end of Friday, NHK reported.
The traffic jam began to form early Thursday morning when snow plows could no longer keep up with the accumulation, meaning some of the motorists have been stuck for more than 40 hours.
East Nippon Expressway said they hoped the section of highway, which connects Tokyo to the port city of Niigata, would be reopened by Saturday morning.
Over the past three days, a record 2.17 meters (7.1 feet) of snow was measured in the town of Minakami in Gunma prefecture. The ski town of Yuzawa in Niigata prefecture measured 1.8 meters of snow on Thursday morning.
Japan’s meteorological agency warned of more heavy snowfall over the weekend along the coast of the Sea of Japan.
- Stephen Appiah excludes Asamoah Gyan from his list of best Ghanaian players
- We will not allow any religious group to plunge Ghana into chaos – Muntaka
- CID probes 53 schools over alleged corruption in school feeding programme
- Kwabena Agyepong’s NPP membership re-instated
- Virologist warns of third wave of Covid-19 in Ghana
- #NSMQ2021: Mfantsiman Girls SHS dumped for the third time in a row at regional championships
- Manu, who delayed Ghana’s 4x100m baton, had never received a baton before – Coach
- Family sues Daasebre Oti Boateng for failing to replace a statue he destroyed
- Students of Takoradi Technical University reject certificate
- Customs driver jailed for selling official vehicle
Drake is Billboard’s Artist of the Decade, will receive honor at 2021 Billboard Music Awards
We’ll work for food security reserves – ECOWAS
Pandemic could lead to more child obesity, WHO Europe office warns
French court fines, sentences Oppong Weah’s son for reckless partying
Salifu Ibrahim not being swayed by man of the match awards
SYND-Ghana backs Lands Ministry’s fight against exploitation of forest reserves
‘I left home so I can take care of my family,’ – A ‘kayayo’ on why she is on the streets
Make a deliberate effort to own a copy of the 1992 Constitution – NCCE
Parliament to reconvene on May 25 to commence second meeting
Dr Mavis Owureku Asare: Wesley Girls’ no fast policy is not about religion
NSMQ 2021: Tamasco and 3 others secure tickets to Accra on day one of Northern Regional qualifiers
Former British High Commissioner to Ghana, Craig Murray jailed for contempt in the UK
Even though it hurts to see you with her, I’m genuinely happy for you
To my ex-lover that I can’t move on from
Residents of Amanase burn vehicle belonging to 5 suspected ritual murderers