Audio By Carbonatix
The Minister of State in charge of Government Communications, Felix Kwakye Ofosu, has stressed that former Finance Minister Ken Ofori-Atta cannot be treated differently from any other citizen under Ghanaian law.
Mr Ofori-Atta served as Ghana’s Finance Minister from 2017 to 2024 under the New Patriotic Party (NPP) administration and has been at the centre of several public controversies relating to alleged financial mismanagement and procurement concerns.
In recent years, the Office of the Special Prosecutor (OSP) announced investigations into a number of transactions approved during his tenure, including revenue assurance contracts, aspects of the public debt restructuring programme, and payments made under sole-sourcing arrangements.
His lawyers have previously maintained that he remains willing to cooperate with any lawful investigative process, explaining that his temporary stay outside the country is due to health and security considerations.
Speaking in a one-on-one interview on JOYNEWS’ AM Show on Monday, January 26, Mr Kwakye Ofosu said all Ghanaians are equal before the law, and institutions that act outside legal bounds can be challenged in court.
“The former finance minister cannot be treated specially. He cannot be treated differently from how everybody else is treated. If any institution engages in conduct that is contrary to law, there’s a recourse. A court can reign in that state institution,” he said.
The Communications Minister noted that agencies such as the Economic and Organised Crime Office (EOCO), the Criminal Investigations Department (CID), or the National Intelligence Bureau (NIB) do not operate above the law. He added that if anyone believes bail terms or other conditions are unreasonable, they can petition the courts for redress.
Mr Ofori-Atta appeared before a United States court on Tuesday, January 20, following actions taken by U.S. immigration authorities over his legal status.
He was apprehended by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) on January 6, 2026, at his residence in the Westlight Building, Washington D.C., after his visa was revoked in mid-2025.
During the court hearing, immigration judge David Gardey presided over the case, which was subsequently adjourned to April 27, 2026.
The situation has sparked reactions in Ghana. On the same day, pressure group Arise Ghana staged a protest outside the United States Embassy in Accra, demanding Mr Ofori-Atta’s return to face investigations over alleged financial misconduct.
Latest Stories
-
African Union summit clouded by Saudi-UAE rivalry in Horn of Africa
1 hour -
No more excuses – NCA rolls out stricter mobile service standards
1 hour -
Call drops must fall below 1% – NCA raises bar for telcos
2 hours -
China to implement zero tariffs on imports from 53 African countries
4 hours -
Tunisian police detain opposition figure Olfa Hamdi at airport
4 hours -
US deports 9 to Cameroon despite court protections, NYT says
4 hours -
Mali renews Barrick Mining’s Loulo license for 10 more years
4 hours -
Gender pay gap won’t close for another 30 years, warns UK trade unions group
5 hours -
No free pass for internet platforms on child safety, Starmer says
5 hours -
Andrew’s time as trade envoy should be investigated, says Vince Cable
5 hours -
‘Trump will be gone in three years’: Top Democrats try to reassure Europe
5 hours -
Cuban cigar festival called off as US blockade worsens energy crisis
5 hours -
Head of Dubai-based ports giant quits after Epstein links revealed
5 hours -
Nigeria’s state-owned NNPC records $4.2 billion after-tax profit in 2025
6 hours -
French tourist found dead in Chad after falling off cliff
6 hours
