The Kenyan authorities have banned all single-use plastics, such as water bottles and straws, from national parks, beaches, forests and other protected areas.
The start of the ban coincides with World Environment Day and comes three years after Kenya announced one of the world’s strictest bans on plastic bags.
Before the coronavirus outbreak, Kenya hosted two million tourists a year.
The UN Environment Programme welcomed the ban saying it showed Kenya’s commitment to addressing the global scourge of plastic pollution.
It estimates more than eight billion tonnes of plastic have been produced globally since the 1950s, and most of it has ended up in landfill or the natural environment.
- Social media reacts to how youth hooted at Akufo-Addo during concert
- Apart from some senior players, no one is guaranteed a place – Andre Ayew on Ghana’s World Cup squad
- NDC orchestrated the heckling of Akufo-Addo at Global Citizen Festival – NPP
- 23,495 Ghanaians test positive for HIV in 6 months
- Bagbin has not resigned from Ghana Bar Association – Dafeamekpor
- Ghana’s programme will focus heavily on debt sustainability – IMF
- Frontiers Contract contains information we cannot disclose – Ghana Airports Company Ltd
- ‘Stop the foolhardiness, Akufo-Addo’s booing at Global Citizen Festival wasn’t orchestrated’ – Stan Dogbe tells NPP
- We won’t recognise Ghanaian doctors trained in war-hit Ukraine – Medical and Dental Council
- Parliament approves fees for “access” to information
- “We’ve had some discussions about set pieces”- Otto Addo
- Uganda Ebola cases rise amid 23 deaths – WHO
- Total pension funds increased by 18% to ¢39.6bn in 2021
- King Charles: New royal cypher revealed
- Farmerline announces 2nd phase of ‘Pre-Series A second’ programme with additional $1.5m funding
- US government to provide $138m to support human capital development in Ghana
- Absa Bank projects ¢12 to a dollar end-year rate
- Luv News uncovers degradation of Tano Nimri Forest Reserve
- Olympic medalist Prince Amartey passes on
- KiDi, Kuami Eugene wrap up Europe tour with 3 shows in one night
- ‘I’m not worried’ – Otto Addo on Black Stars form
- Government to face difficult refinancing options in repaying maturing T-Bills – Report
- KiDi releases ‘4Play’ EP with voice notes to fans
- ‘Nicaragua won’t be as tough as Brazil’ – Otto Addo
- Newly-inducted engineers advised to maintain professional standards