Ghana’s only survivors in Africa club competition Kumasi Asante Kotoko will be hoping to resurrect their chances of going beyond the group stages of this year’s Confederation Cup when they play host to their Sudanese counterparts EI Merreikh at the Baba Yara Stadium on Sunday.
After stumbling in the group opener against Etotle-du Sahel in Tunisia, the Porcupine Warriors need a win at all cost to keep alive their dream of making the final and probably lifting the cup.
So intense is this feeling that the team has quickly put behind them their midweek defeat at the hands of Liberty Professionals in the on-going Top Four.
Soon after the game on Wednesday coach of the side, Barshiru Hayford stated that they have put behind them the defeat to Liberty and are focused on Sunday’s game, adding that “we will be approaching this game with forceful attitude, ready to work harder than the opposition; we have played them before and we know their style of play and what they are capable of doing on any given day, but trust Kotoko to scale over EI- Merreik…”
Kotoko’s game will not come that easy knowing they will be playing against a side that is leading Group B by virtue of their conquest of Algerian outfit, JS Kabylie on home soil 3-1.
El- Merreikh, last year’s beaten finalist in the Confederation Cup are hoping to go a step further this time round but are very cautious of the tie against the Ghanaian champions who coach of the side has praised for their rapid improvement since playing them in less than a year.
The El- Merreikh side who breezed into town on Tuesday to acclimatize with the weather has however promised hell for the Asanteman club.
Kotoko’s game plan will be boosted by the arrival of their inspirationa1 captain and midfield gem Emmanuel Osei Kuffour whose influence in the midfield was badly missed in the group opener in Tunisia; so would be dependable right full back Samuel Inkoom, both of whom were suspended for the game.
Director of operations for Kotoko, Jerry Asare has asked fans of the club to put their defeat to Liberty behind them and troop to the Baba Yara Stadium in their numbers to cheer the team to total victory, adding that all will see a completely different Kumasi Asante Kotoko side who will be seeking to keep intact their unbeaten home record at the Baba Yara Stadium.
Source: The Ghanaian Times
- Government to face difficult refinancing options in repaying maturing T-Bills – Report
- Ayew brothers dropped as Inaki Williams starts for Black Stars in Nicaragua clash
- 3rd-year Mechanical Engineering student tells story of how he begged for a plate of food
- Aisha Huang denied bail again as judge calls on judiciary to help save water bodies
- Fatawu Issahaku scores debut goal as Black Stars record narrow win over Nicaragua
- Luv News uncovers degradation of Tano Nimri Forest Reserve
- ‘Nicaragua won’t be as tough as Brazil’ – Otto Addo
- Pressure mounts on government to scrap SIM re-registration deadline
- Samuel Boadu leaves Hearts of Oak by mutual termination
- Aisha Huang trial: We need to take a strong stance against illegal mining – Judge
- IMF sounds alarm on UK tax cut plans
- Malawi’s John Chilembwe gets statue in London’s Trafalgar Square
- Medical and Dental Council’s directive only applies to students who are yet to graduate – Dr. Banyubala
- We provided opportunities for medical students from Ukraine to enroll in Ghanaian universities – Dr. Banyubala
- Galamsey takes over rice farms in Upper Denkyira East
- Claims GNPC is causing financial loss to the state in Genser deal misleading – Deputy Energy Minister
- The Council from 2017 had issues with medical training from certain parts of the world – Dr. Banyubala
- Police investigate drowning of Officer at Sefwi Amoaya
- Bui Power Authority committed to harnessing football talents within its enclave – Management
- Andre Ayew becomes Ghana’s joint most capped player alongside Asamoah Gyan
- West Africa Crypto and Fintech summit held in Accra
- Sthenjwa Luthuli explores freedom and social restriction in Imbewu Yokhokho exhibition
- Global Citizen Festival: Dancegod Lloyd couldn’t join us on stage because he was unavailable – DWP Academy’s Afrobeast
- Livestream: PM Express discusses the dilemma of Ghanaian medical students from Ukraine
- Player Ratings: Black Stars beat Nicaragua in Spain