Libya’s interim authorities are set to move to Tripoli from their stronghold of Benghazi, officials say.

Mustafa Abdul Jalil, leader of the National Transitional Council (NTC), told his supporters they would move within the next week.

The authorities have urged groups of anti-Gaddafi gunmen patrolling Tripoli to go home, as they try to restore normality in the capital.

In other parts of the country Gaddafi loyalists are continuing to fight.

Anti-Gaddafi forces are slowly advancing on Col Muammar Gaddafi’s hometown of Sirte, after they gave loyalists there until 10 September to surrender.

They are also tackling pockets of resistance in two smaller places – Bani Walid and Sabha.

Col Gaddafi’s whereabouts are still unknown, with rumours saying he could be in any of the three places still loyal to him.
New football kit

Anti-Gaddafi forces pushed troops loyal to the former regime out of the capital last week in an assault co-ordinated with Nato airstrikes.
Continue reading the main story.

Since then, the NTC has courted international approval for its authority, and Western powers have agreed to free up billions of dollars of assets frozen during Col Gaddafi’s rule.

The BBC’s Jon Leyne, in Benghazi, says the NTC now believes it has the money to operate in Tripoli, and that the city is safe enough to be their base.

Meanwhile, Libya’s national football team is preparing to play its first game since the fall of Col Gaddafi.

The team is reportedly going to play in a new kit bearing the colours of the revolution – red, black and green – rather than the all-green strip favoured by the previous regime.

The African Cup of Nations qualifier, against Mozambique, is being played in Egypt because of security concerns.
Power vacuum

On Friday, Mr Jalil returned to Benghazi after a meeting with world leaders in Paris.

“With God’s will, we will go to Tripoli in the next week, but before we go we salute the people and revolutionaries of Benghazi,” he told supporters who had gathered to welcome him back.

Interim interior minister Ahmed Darrad told AFP news agency that fighters still in the capital should now go home.

“Starting Saturday there will be a large number of security personnel and policemen who will go back to work. Now the revolutionaries of Tripoli are able to protect their own city,” he said.

Many of the fighters are from regional towns and cities, and filled the power vacuum left when Gaddafi loyalists fled.

The NTC plans to install democracy in Libya over the next 20 months.

Meanwhile, US media reports say Human Rights Watch has found files in a government building that detail the level of co-operation between the CIA and Col Gaddafi’s intelligence agencies.

The Wall Street Journal reported that the relationship included an agreement to send terror suspects to Libya for interrogation.

Col Gaddafi ruled the country for 42 years with a mixture of personality cult and authoritarianism, propped up by money from oil reserves.

Tags: