Audio By Carbonatix
Liverpool have reversed their decision to place some non-playing staff on temporary leave and apologised to fans.
On Saturday, the club said they were going to apply to the government's taxpayer-funded job retention scheme, sparking a fierce backlash.
But in a letter to their fans, chief executive Peter Moore said: "We believe we came to the wrong conclusion last week and are truly sorry for that."
He added that the Reds have "opted to find alternative means" to pay staff.
The U-turn came after mounting criticism had led to talks between the club's US owners Fenway Sports Group, executives and key stakeholders.
Liverpool had become the fifth Premier League team to furlough non-playing staff with the season suspended indefinitely because of the coronavirus pandemic.
Staff affected were to receive 80% of their salary through the scheme and the club would make up the difference, despite making a profit of £42m last year. Liverpool are the world's seventh-richest football club.
The decision was criticised by former Liverpool players Jamie Carragher and Stan Collymore.
Newcastle United, Tottenham Hotspur, Bournemouth and Norwich City had already announced they will furlough some non-playing staff.
"Despite the fact we were in a healthy position prior to this crisis, our revenues have been shut off yet our outgoings remain," said Moore.
"And like almost every sector of society, there is great uncertainty and concern over our present and future.
"Like any responsible employer concerned for its workers in the current situation, the club continues to prepare for a range of different scenarios, around when football can return to operating as it did before the pandemic.
"These scenarios range from best case to worst, and everything in between.
"It is an unavoidable truth that several of these scenarios involve a massive downturn in revenue, with correspondingly unprecedented operating losses.
"Having these vital financial resources so profoundly impacted would obviously negatively affect our ability to operate as we previously have."
Latest Stories
-
NPA raises price floor for Feb. 16 window; petrol up to GH¢10.24, diesel pegged at GH¢11.34
8 minutes -
Police foil massive narcotics smuggling, reject GH¢80k bribe, seven arrested
9 minutes -
Alleged human trafficking syndicate busted at Pokuase
15 minutes -
Nkoko Nketenkete: Deputy Minister presents over 100,000 birds to poultry farmers in Bono East
21 minutes -
Mahama champions gender equality at AU Summit
27 minutes -
America’s Next Top Model shaped reality TV, but should it ever have been made?
29 minutes -
GFZA climaxes Chocolate Week, urges patronage of domestic cocoa products
32 minutes -
What is the dart frog toxin allegedly used to kill Alexei Navalny?
39 minutes -
ByteDance to curb AI video app after Disney legal threat
49 minutes -
US Attorney General criticised after saying all Epstein files have been released
59 minutes -
From 256kbps to 1Mbps – NCA resets mobile data standards
1 hour -
Pereira announced as Forest boss on 18-month deal
1 hour -
Benatia leaves Marseille amid ‘growing dissatisfaction’
2 hours -
Captain Van Dijk wants ‘so important’ Salah to stay
2 hours -
SMS must deliver in 5 seconds – NCA issues new mobile service targets
2 hours
