Audio By Carbonatix
Israeli club Maccabi Tel Aviv say they will not accept any ticket allocation from Aston Villa should the decision to ban their supporters from next month's Europa League match be overturned.
Birmingham's Safety Advisory Group (SAG) - the body responsible for issuing safety certificates for matches - last week informed Villa no travelling fans would be permitted at the match in the city.
The decision was widely condemned, with Culture Secretary Lisa Nandy pledging that the government will "find the resources" to allow Maccabi fans to attend earlier on Monday.
But Maccabi Tel Aviv now say supporters will not travel for safety reasons - that "a toxic atmosphere has been created which makes the safety of our fans wishing to attend very much in doubt".
AÂ club statement said: "The wellbeing and safety of our fans is paramount, and from hard lessons learned we have taken the decision to decline any allocation offered on behalf of away fans and our decision should be understood in that context.
"We hope that circumstances will change and look forward to being able to play in Birmingham in a sporting environment in the near future."
On Thursday, West Midlands Police said it had classified the fixture as "high risk" based on current intelligence and previous incidents, including "violent clashes and hate crime offences" between Ajax and Maccabi Tel Aviv fans before a match in Amsterdam, in November 2024.
Nandy said ministers were working together to fund any necessary policing operation to allow away fans to attend, and the SAG would review the decision if West Midlands Police changed its risk assessment.
Nandy said the matter was wider than matchday security, adding it came "against the backdrop of rising antisemitism here and across the world, and an attack on a synagogue in Manchester in which two innocent men were killed".
On Sunday, the Israeli Premier League derby between Maccabi Tel Aviv and Hapoel Tel Aviv was cancelled before kick-off, after what police described as "public disorder and violent riots".
Maccabi say the decision to call that game off was not down to their supporters and thanked the UK government for its efforts.
They said: "We believe that football should be about bringing people together not driving them apart.
"Our fans regularly travel all over Europe without incident and to suggest that the reason our fans cannot be allowed to travel is due to their behaviour is an attempt to distort reality.
"We acknowledge the efforts of the UK government and police to ensure both sets of fans can attend the match safely, and are grateful for the messages of support from across the footballing community."
Aston Villa previously told their matchday stewards they did not have to work at the Maccabi Tel Aviv fixture, saying they understood some "may have concerns".
Following Thursday's announcement by the club about the impending fixture, Prime Minister Keir Starmer called the move "wrong" and said: "We will not tolerate antisemitism on our streets."
Latest Stories
-
T-bills auction: Interest rates fall sharply to 6.4%; government exceeds target by 170%
19 minutes -
Weak consumption, high unemployment rate pose greater threat to economic recovery – Databank Research
1 hour -
Godfred Arthur nets late winner as GoldStars stun Heart of Lions
1 hour -
2025/26 GPL: Chelsea hold profligate Hearts in Accra
1 hour -
Number of jobs advertised decreased by 4% to 2,614 in 2025 – BoG
2 hours -
Passenger arrivals at airport, land borders declined in 2025 – BoG
2 hours -
Total revenue and grant misses target by 6.7% to GH¢187bn in 2025
2 hours -
Africa’s top editors converge in Nairobi to tackle media’s toughest challenges
4 hours -
Specialised courts, afternoon sittings to tackle case delays- Judicial Secretary
4 hours -
Specialised high court division to be staffed with trained Judges from court of appeal — Judicial Secretary
4 hours -
Special courts will deliver faster, fairer justice — Judicial Secretary
5 hours -
A decade of dance and a bold 10K dream as Vivies Academy marks 10 years
5 hours -
GCB’s Linus Kumi: Partnership with Ghana Sports Fund focused on building enduring systems
6 hours -
Sports is preventive healthcare and a wealth engine for Ghana – Dr David Kofi Wuaku
6 hours -
Ghana Sports Fund Deputy Administrator applauds GCB’s practical training for staff
6 hours
