Audio By Carbonatix
Police in Nigeria say 15 people have been arrested following allegations of sexual assault at a community festival in the southern Delta state.
Videos circulated online showing young men openly attacking women who were on their own. The clips sparked widespread anger, leading to the hashtag #StopRapingWomen to trend on social media, and renewed calls for accountability over gender-based violence.
Delta state police have rejected claims circulating online that the Alue-Do festival in Ozoro was a "rape festival".
Local spokesperson Bright Edafe told Channels TV on Monday that no formal report of rape had been made in connection with the festival.
The videos, taken during the Alue-Do fertility festival in the city of Ozoro, show groups of young men chasing, stripping, grabbing and assaulting women in public spaces, in some cases while people are filming.
The police spokesman described the scenes as "alarming, disgusting and embarrassing" and said they had arrested several suspects identified from the videos and transferred them to the state Criminal Investigation Department (CID).
Edafe told Channels: "We have spoken to four girls and all of them said nobody raped them."
Among those detained is a community leader widely named as the organiser of the event.
The police say investigations are continuing.
Some witnesses, activists and residents say women were warned not to go out during parts of the festival, and that those seen outside were deliberately targeted.
This has raised concerns that sexual violence may have been organised or tolerated under the cover of tradition.
Rights groups say that even if it is not clear whether anyone was raped, the documented acts - including forced stripping, grabbing and public humiliation -constitute serious gender-based violence under Nigerian law.
The King of Ozoro has rejected suggestions that the Alue-Do festival condones sexual assault, describing it as a fertility rite that was "misinterpreted and abused by some youths".
Traditional leaders also say that no rape occurred. They admit that two women were harassed, but stressing that such acts are criminal, not cultural.
The Delta state government has backed this view, adding that no recognised festival in the state permits sexual assault and that any violence should be treated strictly as a crime.
Nigeria's First Lady Oluremi Tinubu, who has roots in Delta state, condemned the alleged assaults and urged security agencies to prosecute all offenders.
In a signed statement, she said no culture justified violating women and girls, praised police for recent arrests, and encouraged victims to seek medical and psychological support.
Latest Stories
-
Youth unemployment remains government’s biggest challenge — Asiedu Nketia
5 minutes -
Cost of borrowing projected to increase despite policy rate hold – banks
7 minutes -
Guardiola to leave Man City after 10 years as boss
11 minutes -
Carrick confirmed as Man Utd permanent manager
16 minutes -
Photos: Parliament reconvenes, opens second meeting of ninth parliament
17 minutes -
Aisha Bengai challenges young women to prioritise business investment over luxury spending
22 minutes -
AMA donates streetlights to improve security and trading conditions at Kantamanto Market
27 minutes -
Registrar of Companies set to delist 318 companies over compliance breaches
29 minutes -
NDC’s Ako Gunn dismisses NPP petition against judge as bid for political relevance
30 minutes -
National Ambulance Service rejects claims that EMTs are poorly trained
33 minutes -
Fire destroys part of cargo truck near Konongo fuel station
39 minutes -
2026 World Cup: No Foden, Trent and Palmer as Tuchel names England squad for tournament
42 minutes -
See the areas that will be affected by ECG’s planned maintenance on Friday May 22
52 minutes -
Ronaldo scores twice to seal Saudi Pro League at last with Al-Nassr
56 minutes -
SSNIT clarifies hotel advertisement, denies sale reports
1 hour