Teenage rising star Carlos Alcaraz shocked world number one Novak Djokovic in a three-set thriller to reach the Madrid Open final.
The 19-year-old Spaniard followed up his quarter-final win over Rafael Nadal with a 6-7 (5-7) 7-5 7-6 (7-5) success.
Alcaraz coped with everything Djokovic threw at him and delighted the home crowd with some brilliant drop shots.
He plays defending champion Alexander Zverev in Sunday's final after the German beat Stefanos Tsitsipas.
Zverev - ranked third in the world - won 6-4 3-6 6-2 to record his first victory on a clay court over the Greek world number five.
Alcaraz becomes the first player to beat 21-time Grand Slam champion Nadal and 20-time major winner Djokovic on consecutive days on a clay court.
He is enjoying a superb season, winning a first Masters 1000 title in Miami last month which has helped him into the top 10 of the world rankings for the first time.
"This gives me a lot of confidence to play the final," said Alcaraz.
"I know that I played a really good game, and for the rest of the season I think I am able to play against the best players in the world and beat them as well, so it gives me a lot of confidence."
The teenager started strongly, breaking Djokovic in the opening game, but the Serb found his way into the match and broke back in the eighth game to make it 4-4.
Alcaraz gave his opponent a couple of break-point chances late in the set but Djokovic was unable to capitalise. He went 6-2 up in the first-set tie-break and although the Spaniard brought it back to 6-5, Djokovic took it.
The second set was equally tight but Djokovic's energy seemed to slip late on and he put in a tired-looking service game that the teenager made the most of to level the match.
Djokovic found his rhythm again in the deciding set but he was put under pressure on his serve when Alcaraz earned a match point in the 10th game.
But the Serb responded brilliantly with an ace and went on to level the match at 5-5. Both players held their next service game and the match would be decided on another tie-break.
Alcaraz seized the early advantage, going 2-0 ahead and he maintained his lead, sealing victory on his third match point with a forehand winner to become the youngest-ever Madrid finalist.
'I know how good he is' - Zverev prepares for Alcaraz challenge
Sunday's final against Zverev will be the third meeting between the pair - the previous two coming on hard courts - but Alcaraz is yet to beat the two-time Madrid champion.
The winner in 2018 and 2021, Zverev's dominant serving was too much for Tsitsipas to handle as the German avenged his Monte Carlo semi-final defeat by his opponent.
He will play in his 10th ATP Masters 1000 final against Alcaraz but is well aware of the challenge.
Speaking about Alcaraz's results, Zverev said: "Nothing surprises me because I know how good he is.
"I said last year in Acapulco that by 2023 he's going to be top 10. He beat me by a year.
"He's an incredible player. He's going to be incredible. At 19 years old now, he looks like a grown man. There's no limit for him."
Latest Stories
-
GPL 2024/25: GoldStars title dreams suffer setback with defeat to Dreams FC
6 seconds -
Govt to restrict state institutions from importing goods that can be produced locally
4 minutes -
NHIA begins payment of arrears, urges private health providers to resume NHIS services
10 minutes -
GPL 2024/25: Heart of Lions hold Asante Kotoko in Kpando
35 minutes -
No wigs please – the new rules shaking up beauty pageants
1 hour -
Zimbabwe to scrap tariffs on US goods as it faces 18% Trump levy
1 hour -
Kamaldeen Sulemana and Southampton relegated after defeat to Tottenham
1 hour -
Foreign and domestic militias fuel Sudan’s war: are there any safeguards against the nation’s hijacking?
3 hours -
NPP calls for gov’t transparency on suspected drug and money laundering concerns
4 hours -
Skin disease outbreak leaves Mepe-Avetakpo residents in agony
7 hours -
Kusaug youth disappointed in Mahama’s handling of Bawku conflict
7 hours -
Talensi NDC office set ablaze by ‘disgruntled foot soldiers’
7 hours -
US tariffs: ‘We won’t condone America first, Africa last’ – AfCFTA Secretary-General
8 hours -
GPL 2024/25: Basake Holy Stars aims to break duck against Berekum Chelsea
9 hours -
US tariffs: Ministers of Trade, Finance and Foreign Affairs to engage US Ambassador on April 7
9 hours