Former President John Mahama has expressed his disappointment with the Electoral Commission (EC)’s refusal to receive the post-2020 electoral reform proposals submitted by the National Democratic Congress (NDC).
Speaking in an interview on URA Radio in Bolgatanga, he said the Commission, in refusing to receive the proposals, asked the NDC to rather send the proposals to the IPAC.
This, the 2020 Presidential Candidate of the NDC, says is not practicable.
The Commission, he noted, houses the IPAC and can receive the proposals and present them at the next IPAC meeting for consideration.
President Mahama urged the EC to act and be seen as a neutral arbiter, bringing the political parties together and working in consensus.
Mr Mahama has started a nationwide tour to thank Ghanaians for their support and voting for him and the NDC Parliamentary Candidates.
Responding to a question about the NDC’s rejection of the 2020 presidential election results, President Mahama said the widespread irregularities recorded during the election accounts for the widespread questioning of the legitimacy of the results by Ghanaians.
He mentioned acts such as voter suppression tactics, the killing of eight innocent Ghanaians by security personnel and the hostile posturing of the EC as factors that cast a dark cloud over the 2020 elections.
The elections, he maintained, were not free and fair.
“When you have these strange happenings and things like that happen, it doesn’t give much confidence to the Electoral Commission that is supposed to be a neutral arbiter in terms of our electoral process.
“The posturing of the Electoral Commission before, during and after our elections has just shown a certain hostility toward our party.”
According to Mr Mahama, “when you have an election that everyone accepts and is happy with the results, it gives a certain legitimacy to even the person who governs”.
- Akufo-Addo was apt, Aflao chief is not supposed to give Ministers of State ultimatums – Okoe Boye
- ‘Go and sin no more’ – Court cautions evangelist for fingering, fondling woman
- Arrogance of power has taken over Akufo-Addo – Sammy Gyamfi
- We already knew that Komenda was an emotional project – Kofi Bentil
- Ghanaians would have paid more for sugar even with Komenda Sugar Factory – Kofi Bentil
- Adom TV’s ‘Big Talent Show’ gave me hope after I was wrongfully jailed for 5 years – Contestant
- Ex-cop killed relatives and boyfriend for insurance cash
- It is possible Radio Gold, others may not transmit from their original frequencies – NCA
- 38 persons arrested for alleged assault on police officers
- NIA to suspend services at all 34 registration centres from Oct. 25
Why Kenyan churches are banning politicians from pulpits
Breast cancer is not a spiritual disease – Dr Ackon
Winning the Super Cup will motivate us for Premier League promotion – Skyy FC coach
DOL Super Cup: Skyy FC edge out Tema Youth in epic shoot to claim maiden title
Ibrahimovic scores at both ends as Milan edge nine-man Bologna
Guardiola believes Foden can get better after his brace against Brighton
80% of widows who turned out for Tamale screening diagnosed with hypertension
KNUST JHS wins maiden edition of Nhyira FM Akan Akansie
Ejisuman SHS embarks on Peace Walk over encroachment of school lands
It’s time to legislate on funding, executing of projects – Kofi Bentil
NIA to suspend services at all 34 registration centres from Oct. 25
KBTH releases detained breast cancer patients after NDC Deputy Women’s Organiser settles medical bills
38 persons arrested for alleged assault on police officers
LEAP beneficiaries to be paid from October 25 to 29
Kwaku Antwi-Boasiako: Unemployed graduate – think about your pension