Audio By Carbonatix
The Member of Parliament for Bongo Constituency, Edward Bawa, has provided insights into measures taken by the National Democratic Congress (NDC) government to tackle the persistent power outages in Ghana.
Mr. Bawa highlighted the concerted efforts by the erstwhile John Dramani Mahama administration to address the power crisis.
Speaking in an interview on Citi TV on Tuesday, April 16, he stressed that the Mahama-led government prioritised resolving the issue and made substantial investments in the energy sector to mitigate the effects of the power outages.
The Mahama administration encountered significant criticism when Ghana experienced a period of power crisis, known as "Dumsor," during its tenure.
Despite the challenges, some NDC leaders have asserted that they managed to resolve the power crisis before the end of their term.
Mr. Bawa reiterated that the Mahama government successfully tackled the root causes of the power outages during its tenure.
He said specific issues such as generation capacity, fuel security, and unpaid accumulated legacy debts were effectively addressed by the government in 2015.
According to him, these measures implemented by the former president aimed to ensure a stable and reliable supply of electricity to meet the needs of the Ghanaian population.
“Essentially, by the close of 2015, the major issues that had to do with the power sector had been dealt with. When the NDC came, obviously these problems were still there waiting to strike again. Unfortunately, it reared its head in 2013, when we had a problem with the breached pipeline and that told us that we needed to do something about our fuel security properly. By the close of 2015, we had procured enough generation power to be able to deal with the immediate cause of “Dumsor”.
“Generation was the immediate issue, that part by the close of 2015, actually had been dealt with. There was also a financial aspect of it which was dealt with, particularly just the end of 2015 and 2016. We were dealing with the debts and then by the close of 2015, we had also dealt with the fuel security issue because we had then brought on board Atuabo Gas Plant that was going to utilize our gas," he said.
Latest Stories
-
Mali renews Barrick Mining’s Loulo license for 10 more years
47 minutes -
Gender pay gap won’t close for another 30 years, warns UK trade unions group
57 minutes -
No free pass for internet platforms on child safety, Starmer says
1 hour -
Andrew’s time as trade envoy should be investigated, says Vince Cable
1 hour -
‘Trump will be gone in three years’: Top Democrats try to reassure Europe
1 hour -
Cuban cigar festival called off as US blockade worsens energy crisis
2 hours -
Head of Dubai-based ports giant quits after Epstein links revealed
2 hours -
Nigeria’s state-owned NNPC records $4.2 billion after-tax profit in 2025
2 hours -
French tourist found dead in Chad after falling off cliff
2 hours -
Asuogyaman MP commissions four projects, breaks ground for more on birthday
2 hours -
GNFS averts potential petrol tanker explosion at Aveme Junction
2 hours -
Ferocious fire at Agatex Paint Factory in Ho contained
3 hours -
MTN Ghana drives nationwide blood mobilisation in partnership with Ho Teaching Hospital
3 hours -
MTN Ghana leads lifesaving blood drive as Ho Teaching Hospital warns of critical shortages
3 hours -
KNUST dominate maiden SEEDAfrique Relay Open Championship in Kumasi
4 hours
