Audio By Carbonatix
Manchester United have signed Bulgaria striker Dimitar Berbatov from Tottenham in a deal worth £30.75m.
United striker Fraizer Campbell, 20, has moved in the other direction on a season-long loan as part of the deal.
Spurs will not pursue their complaint to the Premier League accusing United of chasing 27-year-old Berbatov.
"Joining United is a dream come true. I look forward to playing my part in helping this club win more honours," he told the Old Trafford side's website.
United manager Sir Alex Ferguson added: "This is a key signing. Dimitar is one of the best and most exciting strikers in world football.
"His style and ability will give the team a different dimension and I'm sure he will be a popular player with the fans."
The capture ends a summer-long saga that took a dramatic twist on transfer deadline day.
Earlier on Monday, it appeared rivals Manchester City were going to shatter United's hopes after they had a bid of more than £30m accepted by Spurs.
The offer was made after City announced they were in the process of being taken over by the Abu Dhabi United Group, which has already begun to throw its weight around, with bids for several high-profile players.
City manager Mark Hughes had said he was planning to talk to Berbatov but later conceded to BBC Radio 5 Live that his chances of meeting the striker were slim.
"I would like the opportunity to talk to him but we haven't been afforded that opportunity," he said.
"The lad has made his intentions known for some time [playing Champions League football] and it might be difficult to change his focus."
Real Madrid were also thought to be interested in Berbatov but Real's president Ramon Calderon told BBC Radio 5 Live they have not made a bid for the player.
Relations between Spurs and United have been far from amicable during this transfer saga.
In July, Spurs submitted a year's worth of evidence to the Premier League to support their complaint of Manchester United's "disgraceful" pursuit of the forward.
And until late on Monday, the White Hart Lane club had confirmed that they had agreed a transfer fee only with City.
Source: BBC
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Pope calls for an end to West Bank violence against Palestinians
2 hours -
Shipping slows through Strait of Hormuz after tanker attacks, data shows
2 hours -
Why I stopped trying to quit smoking – Omah Lay
3 hours -
‘What if sharks swallow you’ – Teni warns Burna Boy over ocean stunt
3 hours -
What’s driving men to get penis fillers, despite the risks?
3 hours -
Ngah brace fires Cameroon to historic first WAFCON crown with dominant Malawi victory
3 hours -
Ariana Grande leaves problems at home as her tour hits the UK
3 hours -
‘Ghana was the crime scene’ – the country leading the demand for slavery reparations
3 hours -
Court dismisses Nana Kwame Bediako’s fresh bid to halt $14.9m judgment
4 hours -
Air India pilot’s reported cannabis test: What it can and can’t tell investigators
4 hours -
France’s top court blocks social media ban for under-15s
4 hours -
Fery wins on return as Djokovic reveals health condition after loss
4 hours -
‘Probably my last year’ – Ronaldo hints at retirement
4 hours -
Arsenal cruise to Community Shield win against disappearing Man City
4 hours -
Barcelona agree £65m deal to sign Rodri from Man City
5 hours