Audio By Carbonatix
Management of The Multimedia Group has set the records straight on how Investigative Journalist, Manasseh Azure Awuni, exited the employment of the company in 2019, explaining that he was not sacked.
"We wish to clarify that Manasseh was not sacked from The Multimedia Group. He resigned of his own accord at the end of July 2019 after serving the necessary notice and going through all exit protocols per company policy," a statement issued by the company said.


Background
On Saturday, August 3, 2019, Manasseh Azure Awuni announced that he was no longer working with The Multimedia Group.
The announcement came barely a week after the National Media Commission (NMC) described the “Militia in the Heart of the Nation” he authored for JoyNews, a subsidiary of Multimedia Group as misleading and a misrepresentation.
The 22-minute documentary alleged that a group, D-Eye, had been training and operating at the Christiansburg Castle at Osu in Accra, which is a "security zone" with the complicity of the New Patriotic Party (NPP)-led government.
The government condemned the documentary, filed a petition against JoyNews at NMC, and asked for an order for a retraction and an apology.
Prior to this, management of the media firm had issued an apology.
“Our documentary did not create any such impression, and I think it’s important to stress that point," said Malik Daabu, editor of Myjoyonline. "All our documentary did was to report on what was happening… the only thing our documentary mentioned was that the person who was leading this group was a former bodyguard of the president when he was not president.”
“He (Nana Akufo-Addo) was an ordinary citizen, a candidate of a political party. Our documentary actually pointed out that this person had been sacked so the unfortunate impression created that the president was nursing these guys while at the same time condemning this was not the basis of our documentary, and it’s important to state that any such impressions or inconvenience caused the president is regretted."
But announcing his resignation, Manasseh expressed his utmost gratitude to his former employers, colleagues and everyone who has been helpful to him.
In a post on his social media pages, the award winning journalist wrote; “I wish to announce my resignation from The Multimedia Group.
"I thank management of company for the opportunity to work with what in my view is the most credible, influential, impactful and daring media organistion in Ghana. I thank them for their support and encouragement all these years. It is no doubt that if I were to work again in a media house in Ghana, I would choose The Multimedia Group.
"I also wish to thank all who have supported me in diverse ways since November 2012 when I joined The Multimedia Group. To the audience of The Multimedia Group and the sources who helped me in my work, I am eternally grateful.
"I will continue to serve Ghana as a freelance investigative journalist and dedicate more time to the writing of books."
Latest Stories
-
Nana Aba Anamoah names Doreen Andoh and Kwasi Twum as her dream interviewees
56 minutes -
Nana Aba Anamoah rates Mahama’s performance
1 hour -
Religious Affairs Minister urges Christians to embrace charity and humility as Lent begins
2 hours -
Religious Affairs Minister calls for unity as Ramadan begins
2 hours -
Willie Colón, trombonist who pioneered salsa music, dies aged 75
3 hours -
Ga Mantse discharged from UGMC following Oti Region accident
3 hours -
Guardiola tells team to chill with cocktails as Man City pile pressure on Arsenal
4 hours -
Majority blasts Minority over Burkinabe border bloodbath claims
5 hours -
Analyst says Burkina Faso killings were a calculated signal to Ghana
5 hours -
Veep extends Ramadan greetings, donates to Cape Coast Central Mosque
6 hours -
Watch the moment President Mahama visited the Ga Mantse at UGMC after horrific accident
6 hours -
UBIDS secures $6.6m prefabricated classroom complex to end space deficit
8 hours -
Gold Fields Ghana Foundation deepens childhood cancer awareness drive; invests $4.8m in community health
8 hours -
Iran students stage first large anti-government protests since deadly crackdown
8 hours -
Fire guts Saboba Hospital’s Children Ward
9 hours
