Audio By Carbonatix
Mexicans are mourning the death of two young Navy cadets who were killed on Saturday when the training tall ship ARM Cuauhtémoc crashed into Brooklyn Bridge.
América Sánchez, 20, and 23-year-old Adal Jair Maldonado Marcos were among the 277 crew members on board the Mexican Navy's sailing ship when its three masts snapped as they hit the bridge.
According to Mexican media, Sánchez was one of the cadets who was standing on top of the masts at the time of the accident.
Twenty-two other crew members were injured, three of them critically, the Mexican Navy said.
The commander of the Mexican Navy, Admiral Pedro Raymundo Morales, said all the crew members well enough to travel would be taken back to their homeland soon.
The body of América Sánchez is scheduled to be transferred to the Naval Academy in her home state of Veracruz later on Monday.
Her mother, Rocío Hernández, described the 20-year-old cadet as "an exemplary daughter" who was "a dedicated student" aiming to become a naval engineer.
Standing before an impromptu altar adorned with flowers and photos of América Sánchez dressed up for her "quinceañera", the party marking her 15th birthday, Ms Hernández paid tribute to her daughter.

"She was a warrior, a soldier who didn't give up, who always fought for her goals," she said, adding that her daughter only had one year left until her graduation.
"They [the Navy] will hold a private ceremony in her honour at the Veracruz Naval Academy for her and then I will bring her home," Ms Hernández said thanking all of her daughter's relatives, friends and teachers, whom she asked "to remember her [América] with affection".
In San Mateo del Mar, a coastal town in Oaxaca state, friends and relatives of Adal Jair Maldonado Marcos have also been paying their respects after the young cadet was confirmed as the second fatal victim of the crash.
His friends told local media that the 23-year-old had always dreamt of following in his father's footsteps and becoming a sailor.
Being on board the Cuauhtémoc, also known as "Knight of the Seas", had been his greatest wish, they recalled.
"The sea saw him being born and the sea was a witness to his passing," one friend to media, adding that "all of us who knew him will remember him as a role model of an intelligent youth".

The investigation into how the accident happened is still under way.
New York police officials said it appeared that the Cuauhtémoc had lost power as it was leaving New York Harbour and was dragged towards Brooklyn Bridge by the current.
Its three masts, measuring more than 48m, hit the base of the bridge, which -according to the New York transport department's website - only has a clearance of 41.1m.
All three masts collapsed and video footage taken by bystanders shows some of the crew members dangling from the yards and sails.
Mexico's Navy Secretary Raymundo Pedro Morales Ángeles said in a statement the results of any investigation would be followed with "total transparency and responsibility".
The Cuauhtémoc left Acapulco, Mexico, on 6 April on a tour that included stops in New York and Aberdeen, Scotland, for the city's Tall Ships race in July.
Latest Stories
-
NPP calls on diplomatic community to protect freedoms, end political prosecutions in Ghana
12 minutes -
NPP Youth Organiser warns of ‘ungovernable’ response over alleged harassment of members
16 minutes -
Climate change: Africa must move adaptation from promises to action – AGN Chair urges
17 minutes -
Traders raise fresh concerns over stalled Takoradi Market Circle redevelopment project
45 minutes -
Lovebirds in NDC politics? Dafeamekpor’s birthday message to Ebi Bright sets social media ablaze
46 minutes -
NPP petitions diplomatic community over alleged political persecution and democratic backsliding
53 minutes -
Multimedia Group ramps up planning for 2026 Hitz FM ReP Ur Jersey experience
55 minutes -
Rent Control Department freezes student hostel fee increases for 2026/2027 academic year
1 hour -
World Aquatics warns Ghana Sports Ministry over interference in Swimming Federation
1 hour -
CDD-Ghana welcomes Supreme Court decision to admit 14 CSOs in OSP constitutionality case
1 hour -
Lands Minister Kofi Buah touts Ghana’s superior forest management credentials at UN
2 hours -
Dubai Chamber leads 19 companies on trade mission to Ghana as non-oil trade hits US$10.7bn
2 hours -
Supreme Court admits Methodist Church Trustees in controversial Wesley Girls’ SHS case
2 hours -
Aflao Traditional Council opposes relocation of High Court
2 hours -
NADMO clears fallen tree at Ataala Junction after heavy rainfall
2 hours