Audio By Carbonatix
Over 100 Nigerians have been killed in an explosion that occurred at an illegal bunkering site on April 23, 2022.
The Saturday night explosion occurred at the site located in the Ohaji-Egbema local government area of Imo State in the Abaezi forest that straddles the border of the two states.
“The fire outbreak occurred at an illegal bunkering site and it affected over 100 people who were burnt beyond recognition,” the state Commissioner for Petroleum Resources, Goodluck Oprah, told journalists.
The Youths and Environmental Advocacy Centre said several vehicles that were in a queue to buy illegal fuel were simmered in the blast.
According to reports, Nigerian police are currently looking for the owner of the illegal oil refinery.
Ifeanyi Nnaji of the National Emergency Management Agency told BBC that the number killed stood at 109 as of the time of reporting.
“We learnt many bodies are in nearby bushes and forests as some illegal operators and their patrons scampered for safety,” he said.
“The Rivers State governor has made a push recently to stamp out illegal refining in Rivers so it has to move to the fringes and neighbouring states. In the last month or two, there were several raids and some security agents involved were tackled,” Ledum Mitee, former president of the Movement for the Survival of the Ogoni People (Mosop)," said.
At least 25 people including children, were killed in an explosion and fire at another illegal refinery in Rivers State in October last year.
Latest Stories
-
IOM, Fidelity Bank Ghana Ltd partner to boost financial literacy for Ghanaian returnees
2 minutes -
Fact-based response to misleading narratives on JG Resources Ltd’s gold trade dispute
7 minutes -
GNFS prevents petrol tanker explosion at Aveme Junction
27 minutes -
Hindsight: Garbage in, garbage out
27 minutes -
Gender Ministry condemns alleged digital sexual exploitation by foreign national, vows legal action
45 minutes -
‘We realised the mess left behind’ – Asiedu Nketia blames Akufo-Addo gov’t for cocoa crisis
55 minutes -
Suspect in Zebilla police robbery and murder arrested
58 minutes -
‘I am safe and recovering well’ – Mohammed Sukparu reassures public after accident
1 hour -
Bawumia thanks liaisons nationwide
1 hour -
Africa must industrialise through green transition – AGN Chair
1 hour -
Ghana’s economy still vulnerable to commodity swings and global tightening – PwC warns
1 hour -
GCAA asked to prioritise airspace safety
1 hour -
CPC welcomes 50% local cocoa processing directive
1 hour -
AU Summit: Mahama, UN Chief discuss African security
1 hour -
DOPASS students eat in an open shed
1 hour
