Audio By Carbonatix
Three people have been arrested in connection with a suspected foiled bomb attack on the Bank of America's headquarters in Paris, France's anti-terrorism prosecutor's office said.
An initial suspect was detained at the scene after he placed a device containing five litres of liquid, believed to be fuel, and an ignition system close to the bank, a police source said, as reported by AFP.
On Sunday, French security services said two more people had been arrested in connection with the incident, which happened at about 03:30 local time (01:30 GMT) on Saturday in the city's 8th arrondissement, a couple of streets from the Champs-Élysées.
France's Interior Minister Laurent Nuñez said the attempted attack could be linked to the US-Israel war on Iran.
"In this type of conflict, you have a number of Iranian services that are likely to carry out actions such as these through proxies," he said.
"There is a significant suspicion, but it is for the investigation to determine."
The Iranian embassy in France has not commented on Nuñez's remarks.
The initial suspect, who was detained at the scene, was accompanied by a second person, who appeared to be taking photos and videos with a mobile phone, but who fled when officers arrived, according to a police source, as reported by AFP.
"Two further individuals were taken into police custody last night as part of the investigation launched on March 28, 2026, into the offences committed against Bank of America," the prosecutor's office said on Sunday.
The custody of the first suspect, who is a minor, had been extended, it added.
Under French law, suspects in terrorism cases can be held for 96 hours. This period can be extended by a court.
Nuñez claimed similar attacks have been foiled in other European nations, including France, Netherlands, Britain and Norway.
He urged security services to be "extra vigilant" and increase their presence at transport hubs and other locations across the country.
France's anti-terrorism prosecutor's office said it had immediately taken over the investigation, which was looking into "attempted damage by fire or other dangerous means in connection with a terrorist undertaking" and a "terrorist criminal conspiracy".
The Paris judicial police and France's domestic intelligence service, the General Directorate for Internal Security, are also involved in the investigation, according to the anti-terrorism prosecutor's office.
Latest Stories
-
Africa to maintain steady growth over next three years – Bridgewater Advisors
38 minutes -
Queiroz unavailable as Desmond Offei to lead Black Stars against Mexico
41 minutes -
2026 Legacy Expo to reposition Africa’s beauty and wellness economy
54 minutes -
TDC, GIADEC and ARISE IIP establish special-purpose company to drive Tema Industrial Park project
1 hour -
Ablakwa clarifies South Africa evacuation reports, assures support for all Ghanaians
1 hour -
Today’s Front pages: Friday, May 22, 2026
1 hour -
Africa urged to overhaul climate finance rules and regulations to unlock investment
2 hours -
Joy Prime to broadcast Mexico vs Ghana friendly match on Saturday, 23rd May at 2am
2 hours -
PNC National Chairman calls for arrest of NPP Youth Organiser
3 hours -
Joana Gyan Foundation partners KN Foundation, GFA & PFAG for historic Nsawam Prison outreach
3 hours -
Chief urges youth to see farming as dignified business, not punishment
3 hours -
Majority Leader says Ghana is experiencing ‘fastest economic recovery’
3 hours -
Anlo-Afiadenyigba SHS appeals for constant water supply, security
3 hours -
‘Stability, credibility and predictability are Ghana’s competitive advantage’ – Ambassador Victor Smith
3 hours -
NAIMOS arrests Chinese national, 7 Ghanaians in Ashanti Illegal Mining crackdown
3 hours