The New Patriotic Party in the North East Region has condemned Minority Leader, Haruna Iddrisu for his statement asking the chiefs and people of Mamprugu to hold government accountable for the flood disaster that displaced over 900 residents in the West Mamprusi municipality, last Thursday.
Four communities were submerged by floodwaters after a dam burst following weeks of torrential rains. The incident also led to the death of a young boy.
Vice President, Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia subsequently cut short his campaign and rushed to the area with a donation of GH₵100,000 among other relief items.
Mr. Haruna who was also in the area, Saturday to present relief support on behalf of former President John Mahama, said the disaster was as a result of the NPP government’s misunderstanding of the conceptualization and poor implementation of their one-village-one-dam initiative.
He also asked Vice President Dr. Bawumia to “render unqualified apology” to the victims and people of the North East Region.
However, in a sharp rebuttal, the ruling party in the region has described the Minority Leader’s comments as “insensitive and inhumane”.
A statement by the Communications Director, Amos Walibe, said the remarks by Mr. Iddrisu intended to exploit the plight of the flood victims for political gains.
Read the full statement:
DID THE MINORITY LEADER, HON. HARUNA IDDRISU COME TO THE NORTH EAST REGION TO COMMISERATE WITH THE FLOOD VICTIMS OR TO CAMPAIGN?
The people of the North East Region have been stunned by the insensitive and inhumane conduct of the minority leader of Ghana’s parliament during his visit to the North East Region on Saturday 3rd October, 2020 to, supposedly, commiserate with the flood victims of some farming communities in the West Mamprusi municipality of the Region.
In a video that is being shared on social media with glee by NDC fanatics, Hon. Haruna Iddrisu is heard shamefully exploiting the plight of the flood victims for political gains.
What is even more bizarre is the fact that the Hon. Haruna Iddrisu was surrounded by sons and daughters of the North East Region in their full NDC apparel cheering him on and intermittently responding to the NDC’s “Eye Zu, Eye Za” slogan from the minority leader.
How could any sane person be canvassing for votes from people who have lost lives and livelihoods?
In the video, the minority leader is heard blaming the 1V1D initiative by the government of H.E Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo for the occurrence of the floods in the region.
How could an honourable as Hurana Iddrisu make such a bizarre statement? I thought the NDC had been very consistent in their criticism of the government that it has failed woefully to deliver on the 1V1D promise?
Again, he veered off completely to talk about the quantum of loans the government of H.E Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo has contracted but with little to show.
He went further to mention a few of the projects NDC did in the Northern and Upper West Regions with little resources.
The minority leader however failed to mention a single project NDC’s supposed little resources did in the North East Region. Or do I need to remind the Honourable minority leader that the North East Region is not an extension of his Northern region?
Hon. Haruna Iddrisu is also heard in the video charging the NDC faithfuls who surrounded him to ask their brother H.E Alhaji Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia the whereabouts of West Mamprusi’s 1D1F.
Let me inform the uninformed minority leader that the West Mamprusi municipality has a Sheanut factory and a water melon factory. Whereas the sheanut factory is completed and awaiting commissioning, the water melon factory is about 80% complete.
Whereas the vice president, H.E Alhaji Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia came to the same area the previous day to donate relief items and a cash amount without giving it a political twist, Hon. Haruna Iddrisu who came to donate a few items to the flood victims chose to exploit their predicament for political gains.
The good people of the North East Region see this attitude of the minority leader and the NDC in the Walewale constituency as an insult and a mockery of the flood victims.
One can only conclude that the minority leader considers the good people of Mamprugu as less important and undeserving of any dignified treatment from him and the NDC.
If such a misfortune befell any part of Dagbang, the Hon. Haruna Iddrisu would not agree to treat them as he did to the good people of Gaagbini, Banawa, Boukudow, Dimia and Tinkaya.
How on earth will any serious politician capitalize on the predicament of these people to pursue your dwindling political fortunes in the North East Region?
The NPP as a political party in the North East Region therefore wish to condemn, in no uncertain terms, the conduct of the of the honourable minority leader and the NDC in the Walewale Constituency and call on them to render an unqualified apology in their own interest.
Long live Ghana
Long live North East Region
Long live Mamprugu
(NPP CD, NER)
- Overborrowing is one of Akufo-Addo’s biggest mistakes – Prof Adei
- Fella Makafui reacts after Twitter user accuses her of ‘sleeping’ with Medikal’s ex-manager
- ‘Western Togoland’: 5 secessionists handed 5 years in jail each
- GALLERY: Best pictures from Black Stars training at Accra Sports Stadium on Monday
- Go to school, don’t wait to get everything on your prospectus – Education Minister to SHS freshers
- My wife got to know she was pregnant after robbery attack – Akesse Brempong
- John Mahama files nomination to contest NDC flagbearer race
- Your electricity bill does not have a party colour – ECG MD
- Falling interest rates to boost private sector growth – Alhassan Andani
- Profile of Anthony Akoto Osei
- Former Black Stars player Emmanuel Oblitey dies at 69
- Mahama to speak on transparent financing of political campaigns today
- Eno Barony raps better than many male rappers in Ghana – Medikal
- Government calls for more donor funding in agric sector
- ECG disconnects Cape Coast Sports Stadium over GH¢513k legacy debt
- Lotto agent in court for over GH¢253k theft
- Corporate institutions urged to implement leadership programmes to equip youth for job market
- Medikal bought 6 cars for Shaxi – Shatta Wale
- VGMA has to come and see me before I get involved in the scheme – Shatta Wale
- We are one people – Bawumia and Mahama laud peaceful enskinment of new Yagbonwura
- Ed Sheeran ‘didn’t want to live’ after tragic year
- Kylian Mbappe replaces Hugo Lloris as France national team captain
- AFCON 2023Q: Black Stars hold first training at Baba Yara Stadium [Photos]
- Alpha Beta Christian College wins 2nd Inter-School Girls Debate Championship
- Today’s front pages: Wednesday, March 22, 2023