The Ghana Police has disclosed how a suspect, Albert Donkor, died in their custody.
In a statement issued on Tuesday, the Police said it had gathered intelligence that the suspect, Albert Donkor and five other suspected gangs of armed robbers were involved in several robbery attacks at Nkoranza on April 19 and 20.
Albert Donkor was later arrested at his residence around 2 am on April 24, 2022, in an unregistered vehicle on an anti-armed robbery operation.
According to the Police, an intelligence operation was then carried out, during which the suspect was shot and died while being rushed to the Holy Family Hospital for medical attention.
“In the Bono East Region, Police gathered intelligence that a suspect, Albert Donkor, and a gang of five other suspected armed robbers, whose names are being withheld for investigation purposes, were involved in several armed robbery attacks in the region, including armed robbery attacks at Nkoranza on April 19 and 20.
“Based on this intelligence, an operation was conducted during which suspect Albert Donkor was shot. He was rushed to the Holy Family Hospital for medical attention, but he was pronounced dead on arrival,” the police statement noted.
The Inspector General of Police (IGP), Dr Akuffo-Dampare, has ordered the Police Professional Standards Bureau (PPSB) to investigate the killing of Albert Donkor in Nkoranza in the Bono East Region.
“The Police Professional Standards Bureau (PPSB) has commenced an investigation into the incident to ascertain whether the operation was carried out in line with the standard operating procedures of the Service,” portions of the statement read.
The Police also noted the Bono East Regional Police Command has engaged the family of the deceased and other relevant stakeholders in response to their concerns regarding the incident.
The Director-General of Public Affairs, DCOP Kwasi Ofori, in the statement said, the IGP “spoke with the family [of the deceased] on the telephone and has constituted a high-powered delegation led by COP Christian Tetteh Yohuno, the Director-General/Administration to visit Nkoranza tomorrow [Wednesday, for further engagement with all stakeholders.”
Meanwhile, today, the Bono East Regional Minister, Kwasi Adu Djan, summoned an emergency regional security meeting to discuss security concerns following the alleged killing of a 28-year-old trader.
The REGSEC delegation also met with the Traditional Council and the youth in the area to discuss measures to put in place to ensure that the culprits involved in the alleged murder of Albert Donkor face justice.
- Ghana’s gross reserves stood at 1.0 month of import cover in August 2023; trade surplus hits $2.016bn – BoG
- Alan to speak on Monday on political future after quitting NPP flagbearer race
- Livestream: The Probe discusses impact of #OccupyJulorbiHouse protest
- Dr. Sa-ad Iddrisu: Historians must document all human rights violations under Akufo-Addo’s watch
- Yaw Nsarkoh: Osagyefo & The Madiba: Global Africa in Search of Transformational Leadership in the 21st Century
- Ghanaian forward Ibrahim Sadiq gets assist as AZ Alkmaar win big in Eredivisie
- Nhyira Fm’s Mama Effe honoured at Mali’s 63rd Independence celebration in Kumasi
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: I am here for Ghanaians, not NPP or NDC – Stonebwoy
- GPL 2023/24: Hearts of Oak beat 10-man Nsoatreman; Aduana beat Medeama
- Ghanaian youngster Raymond Anokye Asante scores in back-to-back games after injury return
- Ghanaian winger Joseph Paintsil scores first goal in Genk’s dramatic draw against Truidense
- Premier League: Darwin Nunez helps fire Liverpool to win over West Ham
- One injured in gas station fire at Katamanso
- Premier League: Watkins winner piles more misery on 10-man Chelsea
- Premier League: Arsenal and Tottenham play out thrilling derby draw