Audio By Carbonatix
The Ghana Police Service has secured a restraining order from a High Court to bar some agitated youth from embarking on a planned protest this Sunday.
This was shortly after the National Security Coordinator, Mr. Albert Kan-Dapaah met convenors of the #FixTheCountry movement on Thursday to discuss concerns raised during the social media uproar.
The order, granted by Justice Ruby Aryeetey, prevents the group from proceeding with the protest march on the said day "or any other date until the restriction on public gathering is lifted."

According to the Head of Public Affairs at the Accra Region Police Command, "the restraining order follows an affidavit filed by the police against convenors of TheFixCountry protest march pursuant to Section 1(6) of the Police Order Act, 1994 (491)."
"The Accra Regional Police Command is hereby drawing the attention of the general public, especially organisers or conveners of FixTheCountry protest march, their associates, officers, agents, assigns and workmen, to the restriction order and compliance," the police statement further explained.
Meanwhile, members of the movement are unhappy with the development, describing it is as bad faith.
Fighter General of the Economic Fighters League, Hardi Yakubu said the #FixTheCountry group will appeal the court's decision.
"We will seek to set aside this court order by appealing to this same judicial process that the police has used." he said on Top Story.
He described the order as "too sweeping" and "an affront which we do not intend to take lying down"
Meanwhile, legal practioner, Samson Lardi Anyenini sees a problem with the manner in which the Public Order Act was applied.
"In this particular injunction, there is everything wrong with the length of the subsistence of the prohibition as granted by the court," he told Evans Mensah.
What is #FixTheCountry?
#FixTheCountryNow has been topping twitter trends for the past few days.
Social media users, largely the youth, in their posts have been highlighting some inadequacies in the management of the economy.
Despite efforts by government, including; establishment of the Nation Builders’ Corp (NABCO), National Youth Entrepreneurship and Innovation Plan (NEIP) and other commitments towards investing in the growing human capital, some Twitter users say the impact is not felt on the ground.
Dominant in the sentiments shared on Twitter are; rising youth unemployment, inefficient health systems, skyrocketing cost of rent, poor road networks among others.
Latest Stories
-
Minority Leader slams Mahama’s gov’t over…
8 minutes -
52-old-year cabbie killed in crash on Wenchi–Wa Highway
16 minutes -
Mamprugu Traditional Council calls for probe into alleged abuses linked to Bawku conflict
19 minutes -
Midie schoolchildren wade through mud daily to access education
22 minutes -
Osei Tutu SHS parents appeal for support to complete classroom block
28 minutes -
Heavy Thursday downpour inundates Cape Coast
28 minutes -
Galamsey: Conveners disappointed as police cancel street protest
31 minutes -
Rev Enoch Thompson elected Christian Council Chairman
34 minutes -
Rebranded PNC will be formidable force for 2028 elections – Mornah
39 minutes -
Ghana’s digital cedi targets cross-border trade, financial integration
43 minutes -
Traders at Kotokuraba jubilate over restoration of GN Bank’s licence
44 minutes -
Government announces support package for South Africa evacuees
45 minutes -
AGI seeks incentives for renewable energy projects
52 minutes -
First non-Interest bank expected in Ghana this year – BoG Governor
60 minutes -
Scientist identified more B6 vitamin in Beer than previously anticipated
1 hour