Audio By Carbonatix
The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has indicated that the 2020 budget presents a fine opportunity for government to demonstrate it is fully committed to fiscal discipline in an election year.
Catherine Pattillo, Assistant Director at the fiscal department of the Fund, “we are going into an election year and so meeting the budget deficit target in 2020 will really send a strong signal to all including investors of government’s commitment to fiscal discipline.”
She disclosed this to JoyBusiness after launching the IMF Fiscal Monitor report on the sidelines of Annual IMF/World Bank meetings in Washington DC on Wednesday.
Ken Ofori-Atta, Finance Minister is expected to present the last budget of the Akufo-Addo administration by November 15,
Why is the IMF worried?
Governments over the years have ended an election year by spending far more than what it has budgeted for that financial year.
This development has led to high budget deficit resulting in some serious crush fiscal consolidation program the next year.
But according to the IMF, even though it is somewhat satisfied with measures implemented so far by government it still believes that a lot more needs to be done to help consolidate gains made so far.
IMF wants all expenditure to be captured in government’s budget
The Fund is also pushing for all government’s expenditure to be captured in the budget.
According to Ms Pattillo, this would help better track government’s finances and the impact of rising expenditure on the total debt stock.
She noted that “all off-budget expenditure going forward should also be discouraged by government. This is because the general principle is that all public sector obligations must be officially captured for everyone to better track government’s finances.”
Data from the Bank of Ghana as of July 2019 ending shows that the country’s total debt stock stood at ¢205 billion.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Beneficiaries of Nkoko Nketenkete programme share success stories
44 minutes -
World Cup slots do not exist in my office – Sports Minister cautions
47 minutes -
Media tasked to deepen role in advancing decentralisation reforms
52 minutes -
EPA arrests suspected illegal miner over pollution of Ankobra tributary in Nzema East
59 minutes -
Kenyan court rules parts of law criminalising consensual sex between adolescents invalid
1 hour -
I brag to my colleagues about being a graduate – Davido
1 hour -
I used to run to Don Jazzy’s room to cry during hard times – Tiwa Savage
1 hour -
Nigerian music stars, Wizkid, Asake, Tems and Burna Boy nominated for 2026 BET Awards
1 hour -
Wizkid becomes first African artiste to hit 11 billion Spotify streams
2 hours -
At Cannes, Almodovar says artists have duty to speak out against ‘monsters’ like Trump
2 hours -
As cocoa prices melt down, real chocolate is making a comeback
2 hours -
UK agrees £3.7bn trade deal with six Gulf states
2 hours -
SpaceX aims for 10,000 annual launches within five years, FAA says
2 hours -
Prince-Osei Owusu nominated for MLS All-Star Game after Montreal Player of the Month award
4 hours -
AFCON U-17: Black Starlets beat South Africa 3-1 but await CAF draw of lots to determine fate
4 hours