Many social media users have taken great exception to comments by the Paramount Chief of Akyem Abuakwa Traditional Area, Osagyefo Amoatia Ofori Panin.
They say the chief’s recent outburst against critics of President Akufo-Addo is unfortunate and ill informed, with some adding that he lacks appreciation of how tough things are in the country.
Speaking at the inauguration of the Kyebi Archdeaconry on Sunday, October 23, the Okyehene said Ghanaians who have been insulting President Akufo-Addo over the economic hardships are uncivilised, witches and not well nurtured.
He remarked that those who have failed to recognise the contributions of the president are children of illiterates.
“We should appreciate him for his efforts; we should protect him. As for the insults, it’s for children of illiterates. If you are trained properly, you won’t do that, unless you are a witch or wizard,” Osagyefo Amoatia Ofori Panin said.
This did not sit well with many who woke up to the comments on Monday.
While some criticised him for being tribalistic and partisan, others noted that he was only being populist through his “unfair attacks” on people who are only expressing their frustrations at the government and the president, while another group yet, maintained that he was right to speak as he did.
Below are some of their reactions:
Oh so this is what he said and others are trying to find problem for him. He said nothing wrong. He is an Elder and he will definitely not support young ones to insult elders. Perhaps, it is part of the Ghanaian culture not to insult elders.— Sch Fees (@SchFeez1) October 24, 2022
Lmao 😂. What he said is not wrong though. our parents say the same things everyday. “You don’t insult elders” is basically what he said— Austin Junior➕ (@JuniAugustine) October 24, 2022
It is you and your family that are”a descendant of a villager” how can a paramount chief talk like a veranda boy.— Afoom Plana (@AlanAmpofo) October 24, 2022
You sat here and the NPP called former President incompetent and all sort of names we didn’t hear this from you but when it came to them, we’re hearing things like this from elders like you. Looks as if these criticisms are really getting to these “incompetent” men.— Eddy (@GreyRCF) October 24, 2022
The genesis of our problem is, we are— aqcosua* (@aqcosua) October 24, 2022
trained to always respect the views of the elderly even when it does not make sense so this man will lower his standards and insult critics without expecting any comebacks from them because he thinks he’s the one that feeds them🙄 #JoySMS
Another problem we have in our culture as Ghanaians is to watch elderly people misbehave and tell us we cannot correct them.— Perseus (@edemalimo) October 24, 2022
Our culture suppresses people who speak truth to power and we think everything is okay.
Ghana’s outdated culture is one of the big reasons we are here.
Clearly the man did not condemn criticism of the president. From this clip he’s talking about insulting your president who’s elderly. If this’ indeed all he said then I don’t understand the backlash. #JoySMS— Kwadjo Amponsah (@kwajo__Amponsah) October 24, 2022
He’s a major beneficiary … in Akufo Addo’s government. How did he become a chief beats my imagination.— Abu Timoun (@AbuTimoun) October 24, 2022
He wasn’t brought up well himself. Otherwise he wouldn’t have kept quiet wen the president increased his salary by almost 70%, and hire a private jet EXPENSIVELY whilst hospitals don’t have beds. How are our leaders respecting us for us to learn, or respect shud be unrequited ???— XORLA LEE (@Vision_1PK) October 24, 2022
Ghanaian adults hate being insulted by youths but really never give enough reasons why they shouldn’t be cussed.— BOKQOarmyGanG (@awuku_enwai) October 24, 2022
No wonder there’s no progress in the country with such 1364 mind as leaders and heads. As3m Wei so papa panyin mu a ka.— BOKQOarmyGanG (@awuku_enwai) October 24, 2022
… Was this not the same chief who organized a demonstration against Prez Mahama and today wants Ghanaians to keep quiet when the country has been run aground by his tribesmen? 🤮🤮— Odehyeɛba Kofi (@kofi_odehye) October 24, 2022
He should keep if got nothing sensible to say . You are all part of the problem we are facing. You hate the truth— DE BOSS (@BuiWani14) October 24, 2022
I wonder which kind people we call leaders n chiefs in our country
If you were also brought up well you will not insult Ghanaians , now we start to insult because you insulted us first . Demon— Dominic (@Dominic59775329) October 24, 2022
I’m from the Akyem region, and this man here hasn’t done foko to stop galamsey but he’s here saying people who are not happy with President’s governance are villagers. Such a shame that we have these people as our leaders. https://t.co/fqfwtIUHiD— Kobe. (@Bra_Kobe) October 24, 2022
Is every Ghanaian not a descendant of a villager? Confused https://t.co/2iq0d3XA5p— B. Sam (@paak_pieterson) October 24, 2022
Nana Addo kmt ein town what you Dey expect 😂 https://t.co/djlikfNKK2— PILATO BRANDS (@KofiSelorm9) October 24, 2022
I can’t believe the people clapping and cheering him on……herh… https://t.co/A6moPIN958— sessie suka🍷 (@sessie_07) October 24, 2022
Our only crime for this kinda name calling is telling people we voted for and pay to do their job. Sigh! https://t.co/FeAq8MkCxP— KOFI Twum-Barima (@TwumBarima_) October 24, 2022
when did villager even become an insult here? https://t.co/cuWfqXu9ca— Micycle but as fat Walda (@micyclle) October 24, 2022
How did we even reach here? They are calling us wizards and villagers for expressing our disappointment in this Govt ? Life ankasa is not fair. Smh! The right time will surely come.#JoySMS https://t.co/O0nfQj63JK— Ray Wilson Enyeminko (@EnyeminkoRay) October 24, 2022
There is actually no shame in being a descendant of a villager. It’s better than being descendants if greedy, selfish politicians who rob the country at every turn and display nonchalance to the plight of the people they swore to serve. Respect is earned not given to undeserving https://t.co/PF08RnBemT— Not Nana (@ansaah_akua) October 24, 2022
As for this tag of our criticism of the government as being witches/wizards de333 am a proud member. We will not stop talking until things get better https://t.co/LTy2zU8z49— Nii koulibaly (@GyataNii) October 24, 2022
No one is disrespecting, people are just stating facts about his government, mind you those facts could’ve been songs of praises too, sadly its a bad song for him. Get the different https://t.co/3memRfvAK3— T. Baby❤️🤩 (@_tommybrian) October 24, 2022
Lol. Is he not a chief of a village? Anaa Okyeman, e be city? https://t.co/RWV9WWLc1k— Black (@Hvmphrey_) October 24, 2022
So called elders so obsessed with respect they’ve not earned but want to enjoy. https://t.co/yq56igGpNt— PG (@A_manroh) October 24, 2022
The irony is that this man calls himself an environmentalist but his lands are the most ravaged by galamsey and illegal tree felling in this country. He really should sit this one out https://t.co/QMXPvZZwBA— Robbie Flak (@cobimensah) October 24, 2022
- Akufo-Addo reshuffles ministers
- He said just the ‘tip’, but now I’m pregnant; the story of a university fresher
- Businessman Ibrahim Mahama to fund treatment, education of former NSMQ ‘Shark’
- Turkey earthquakes: Ghana star Christian Atsu found after 26 hours under rubble
- GES, Education Ministry to release academic calendar for SHS
- Turkey earthquake: “Huge and miraculous” – Christian Atsu’s local manager reacts to his rescue
- Haruna Iddrisu did not sell out NDC to us – Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu
- Turkey earthquake: Ghanaian students recount horror
- Demand for dollars ease; BoG sold only $9.2m on spot market
- Stonebwoy shares pictures of red carpet moments at 2023 Grammys
- It will be stinking hypocrisy for police to serve justice by criminalising free speech – Opare Addo
- Ghana’s oil profile under Akufo-Addo unprecedented – Energy Ministry tells Mahama
- LeBron James is NBA all-time scorer
- Shadrach Arloo: Pathologist labels asphyxiation, obstruction of airway by foreign body as cause of death
- Akufo-Addo donates cash, food items towards funeral of late Yagbonwura
- 60% of doctors are in Accra and Kumasi – Health Ministry
- 9 arrested in Atewa Forest for illegal mining
- Pencils of Promise commissions 197th classroom block
- Newmont Ahafo North Mining Project: Chiefs, youth groups appeal to government to apply state laws, warns WACAM
- Reshuffle is to reinvigorate government – Majority Leader
- Majority Leader stops taking fuel allocation in response to Ghana’s economic woes
- Digital Cooperation Organisation makes case for collaboration at LEAP in Saudi Arabia
- Asante Akim Marathon winner to compete in world cross country competition
- DDEP: Government commends bondholders who have tendered their bonds
- DDEP: Government grants 3-day administrative window for bondholders to complete processes