Audio By Carbonatix
A lecturer at the Kofi Annan International Peacekeeping Training Centre (KAIPTC), Dr Victor Doke, has endorsed Ghana’s decision to seek foreign assistance in investigating the August 6 Ghana Air Force Z-9 helicopter crash in the Ashanti Region, which claimed the lives of all eight people on board, including two cabinet ministers.
The move was confirmed by Deputy Minister for Defence, Brogya Genfi, when a delegation from the Greater Accra Regional House of Chiefs visited the Ministry of Defence on Wednesday, 13 August, to console staff and leadership.
Mr. Genfi disclosed that the Ghana Armed Forces had already launched its investigation but was now partnering with international specialists to guarantee a comprehensive and impartial probe.
“We have requested international collaboration and have received a positive response,” Mr. Genfi stated.
In an interview with JoyNews' Pearl Ofori on the midday news, Dr described the decision as “very critical” for ensuring a credible outcome.
“International cooperation in investigations should not be limited to air crashes, it could apply to any disaster that arises; it is very critical,” he stressed.
According to Dr Doke, Ghana has the authority to reach out to global investigative bodies through diplomatic missions, ministries, or directly to relevant agencies, depending on the matter at hand.
“Every country has the prerogative to call for international assistance; these specific investigative bodies will ascertain the results of any issue that they want to seek clarification on. In this case, collaborating with international agencies will enhance the process. It doesn’t mean we lack the capacity, but there may be challenges with equipment for verification or forensic analysis,” he explained.
He added that international partners bring technical depth and investigative experience that can plug gaps in local capacity.
“The partners we are engaging will bring on board enhanced expertise we do not currently have,” Dr. Doke said.
He emphasised that while transparency is key, certain elements of the inquiry must remain confidential until the final report is ready.
“The process will be kept under high secrecy because every detail regarding this crash must remain confidential until the final results are released,” he noted.
Asked what steps the investigative board of Inquiry should take to safeguard transparency and public confidence, especially in light of the high-profile nature of the victims, Dr Doke urged leaders to approach the matter as a national emergency rather than a political contest.
“We must depoliticise this issue. If the investigation shows there was human error, action must be taken and the people responsible sanctioned,” he asserted.
Latest Stories
-
GTA 6 leaks – a nightmare or a blip for the biggest video game of the year?
4 hours -
Two injured in stabbing attack at Canada Sikh temple
4 hours -
Modi spent years building his strong image – why is he making Gen Z reels now?
4 hours -
Canada ‘should fight’ as US trade deadline looms, Manitoba premier says
4 hours -
Man Utd agree £70m fee for Brighton’s Baleba
5 hours -
Inter-Agency Football Gala: YEA organize event as part of National Youth Month celebration
5 hours -
Receiver fights High Court order to hand over No.1 Oxford Street Hotel to Cheddar’s company
5 hours -
Partey begins new chapter in Saudi Arabia with Al Shabab
5 hours -
NSMQ 2026: St. Francis Xavier deny debutants Pentecost SHS one-eighth spot
5 hours -
One killed in sword attack at Swedish school
5 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Tamale SHS sweep aside Kalpohin, Wenchi Methodist to reach one-eighth stage
6 hours -
Tupac murder accused told police in 2008 his nephew fired fatal shots
6 hours -
Heart of the Beast to Practical Magic 2: 10 of the best films to watch this September
6 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Tears of relief as Labone SHS survive Notre Dame Sem. in thriller to secure one-eighth spot
7 hours -
Onga Tomato Mix unveils Diana Hamilton as Brand Ambassador
7 hours