Roberto Martinez has confirmed stepping down as the head coach of Belgium following their 2022 World Cup group stage exit on Thursday.
The Red Devils were kicked out of the Mundial following a goalless draw against Croatia at Ahmad bin Ali Stadium when they needed a win.
The Spaniard announced his resignation after the game in his post-match interview.
“This was my last game as national coach. I said goodbye to the players and staff,” Martinez said.
The 2018 World Cup third-placed side started their campaign with a hard-fought 1-0 win over Canada before losing to Morocco and needed a win against the Russia 2018 finalists to progress, but spurned their chances.
“Today we were ourselves again. It is never easy to win a match at a World Cup. In that first match against Canada, we won, but we weren’t ourselves. We deservedly lost the second match against Morocco. We weren’t ready,” the 49-year-old added.
Belgium had 15 attempts at goal but still couldn’t find an opening against the Croats. Lukaku notably missed three big chances.
Martinez said they are leaving the global showpiece proud of what they have done when many tipped them as one of the favourites to lift the title.
“Today we created a lot of chances, so no, I have no regrets. We can leave the World Cup with our heads held high.”
Martinez took charge of Belgium in 2016, managing 80 games and winning 70% of them in his six-year spell, lifting no title with a group of players described as the country’s golden generation.
- Akufo-Addo reshuffles ministers
- He said just the ‘tip’, but now I’m pregnant; the story of a university fresher
- Businessman Ibrahim Mahama to fund treatment, education of former NSMQ ‘Shark’
- GES, Education Ministry to release academic calendar for SHS
- Turkey earthquake: “Huge and miraculous” – Christian Atsu’s local manager reacts to his rescue
- Haruna Iddrisu did not sell out NDC to us – Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu
- DDEP: Government grants 3-day administrative window for bondholders to complete processes
- 32-year-old nurse commits suicide in Kpasera, Savannah Region
- Stonebwoy shares pictures of red carpet moments at 2023 Grammys
- Pardon Suame NDC Youth Organiser for misspeaking – Sammy Gyamfi tells Police
- Safety and security of investment is highest expectation businesses want from government – UKGCC Survey
- Man fined $900 over death of top journalist
- Today’s front pages: Wednesday, February 8, 2023
- It will be stinking hypocrisy for police to serve justice by criminalising free speech – Opare Addo
- Ghana’s oil profile under Akufo-Addo unprecedented – Energy Ministry tells Mahama
- LeBron James is NBA all-time scorer
- Shadrach Arloo: Pathologist labels asphyxiation, obstruction of airway by foreign body as cause of death
- Akufo-Addo donates cash, food items towards funeral of late Yagbonwura
- 60% of doctors are in Accra and Kumasi – Health Ministry
- 9 arrested in Atewa Forest for illegal mining
- Pencils of Promise commissions 197th classroom block
- Newmont Ahafo North Mining Project: Chiefs, youth groups appeal to government to apply state laws, warns WACAM
- Reshuffle is to reinvigorate government – Majority Leader
- Majority Leader stops taking fuel allocation in response to Ghana’s economic woes
- Digital Cooperation Organisation makes case for collaboration at LEAP in Saudi Arabia