Australian pop star Tones And I has the most-Shazamed song of all time, with her 2019 breakout hit Dance Monkey.
More than 200 million people a month use the Shazam app to identify songs they have heard but don’t know the names of.
Dance Monkey, which was written about the singer’s experiences of busking in Byron Bay, has been Shazamed 33.6 million times, the company said.
Shazam reveals most searched-for songs of all time 🎶 https://t.co/SJeeKCEZto— BBC News (UK) (@BBCNews) November 17, 2020
Second place went to Lilly Wood & The Prick’s 2014 hit Prayer In C.
Tones And I, the stage name of singer-songwriter Toni Watson, said the app had been invaluable for her career.
“I didn’t have a following when I released Dance Monkey, but [Shazam] gave me the opportunity to reach more people and elevate my fanbase, which has all led to creating a career for myself,” she said in a statement.
Dance Monkey spent 11 weeks at number one in the UK at the end of last year, and topped the charts in 29 other countries. It also holds the record for the most Shazamed song in a single day.
Shazam’s all-time chart shows that dance music and quirky pop are the most commonly searched-for genres, with Avicii’s Wake Me Up and OMI’s Cheerleader both ranking highly.
Four of the top 10 are one-hit wonders, including Gotye’s 2012 chart-topper Somebody That I Used To Know and Passenger’s Let Her Go, from 2013.
On the other hand, Ed Sheeran appears three times in the top 20, meaning some people heard Thinking Out Loud being played for the millionth time and wondered, “Who sings that one again?”
Sheeran ties with Clean Bandit for the most entries in the overall top 100, with four each, while Sia, Sam Smith and Imagine Dragons have three apiece.
- Chinese nationals release dogs on GRA tax officers at quarry site
- Police pursue Caprice robbery suspects
- Beautiful photos drop as Mahama’s son and Algerian wife welcome their 1st child
- Domestic Debt Exchange: Time ticks for bondholders
- Alan Kyerematen’s campaign song pops up at Kufuor’s 84th birthday bash
- Some ministers I reshuffled are no more friends with me – Mahama
- 1$ now ¢12.80
- Kofi Kinaata’s ‘Made in Taadi’ 2022 edition cancelled
- Court discharges 6 Policemen accused of bullion van robberies
- Andre Ayew pays courtesy call on National Chief Imam with daughter
- Ukraine war: US says Iran now Russia’s ‘top military backer’
- Livestream: Newsfile discusses Minority’s failed censure motion and Ghana’s debt exchange programme
- US sports journalist dies in Qatar during Argentina v Netherlands game
- Kweku Antwi Boasiako: Etymology of husband and wife
- World Cup 2022: Brazil ‘in pain’ after exit on penalties against Croatia
- World Cup 2022: Messi the master as Argentina beat Netherlands in chaotic Qatar classic
- Newmont Ahafo Mine recognised for spearheading Agricultural Development in Ahafo
- DBG participates in AADFI CEOs FORUM for African DFIs
- Kuami Eugene, Adina, Joe Mettle, Lasmid and others to thrill fans at 2022 MTN Carols Night
- Government to set up Agricultural Development Zone in Northern Region
- Remembrance yields praises —Elder Nana Amo Tobin
- How long does it take to fall in love?
- Ghana Cedi: From worst to best performer against dollar
- COVID-19: Vulnerable populations face higher burden of morbidity and mortality – Health Minister
- George Floyd: Ex-officer J Alexander Kueng sentenced for manslaughter