Audio By Carbonatix
Mr Francis Poku, Minister for National Security on Friday called on the Military to brace up for the challenges expected in the country in 2008.
He said national and international activities to be hosted by the country including the CAN 2008 and the country's general elections would test the country's much-admired peaceful status and urged the military to prepare thoroughly to defend the country's positive image.
Mr Poku said these he when addressed this year's West African Soldiers Social Activity (WASSA) of the 66 Artillery Regiment in Ho.
He observed that naturally, some deviants and unpatriotic citizens would foment troubles in their communities and during major national and international activities and asked the military not to give anything to chance in maintaining the hard won reputation of the country as a peaceful one.
The Minister praised the 66 Artillery Regiment (Volta Barracks) for its role in ensuring peace in the Volta Region and urged it to maintain its professional standard.
He noted that the Regiment was well represented at the Ghana @ 50 celebrations and had helped the country to achieve an international image of peace through its activities in the country and at peacekeeping missions.
Mr Poku commended the Regiment for promoting civil-military relationship and called on civil society to support it in its quest to peace building.
Mr Poku congratulated wives of soldiers of the Regiment for their continual support to the soldiers and appealed to them to continue with their "good work'.
Lieutenant Colonel Emmanuel Kotia, Commanding Officer of the Regiment said the Barrack's services were more societal oriented and called on society to see the Military as partners in development.
Mr Kofi Dzamesi, Volta Regional Minister appreciated the efforts of the Barracks in keeping " hot spots" in the Region under control especially the role it played in the Anloga chieftaincy dispute and pledged the continual support of the Volta Regional Coordinating Council to the Barracks.
Inter-Battery Mortar stripping and assembly competitions were held and awards given to deserving soldiers and civilians.
Source: GNA
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Pope calls for an end to West Bank violence against Palestinians
2 hours -
Shipping slows through Strait of Hormuz after tanker attacks, data shows
2 hours -
Why I stopped trying to quit smoking – Omah Lay
2 hours -
‘What if sharks swallow you’ – Teni warns Burna Boy over ocean stunt
2 hours -
What’s driving men to get penis fillers, despite the risks?
2 hours -
Ngah brace fires Cameroon to historic first WAFCON crown with dominant Malawi victory
3 hours -
Ariana Grande leaves problems at home as her tour hits the UK
3 hours -
‘Ghana was the crime scene’ – the country leading the demand for slavery reparations
3 hours -
Court dismisses Nana Kwame Bediako’s fresh bid to halt $14.9m judgment
3 hours -
Air India pilot’s reported cannabis test: What it can and can’t tell investigators
3 hours -
France’s top court blocks social media ban for under-15s
3 hours -
Fery wins on return as Djokovic reveals health condition after loss
3 hours -
‘Probably my last year’ – Ronaldo hints at retirement
4 hours -
Arsenal cruise to Community Shield win against disappearing Man City
4 hours -
Barcelona agree £65m deal to sign Rodri from Man City
4 hours