Audio By Carbonatix
South Africa’s elite task force rescued two cabinet ministers and a deputy, after they were held hostage by war veterans demanding reparations for their role in the fight against white-minority rule.
The Liberation Struggle War Veterans, from the disbanded ANC military wing, are demanding a one-off payment of $280,000 (£203,000) for housing and medical insurance for their families.
They met Minister in the Presidency Mondli Gungubele, Defence Minister Thandi Modise and her deputy Thabang Makwetla to negotiate their demands at a hotel in the capital Pretoria last night.
The government officials were held hostage after those talks collapsed. Later, more than 50 people were arrested after attempts to negotiate for the release of the hostages failed.
The special task force, whose members wear military uniform and are trained in counter-terrorism and hostage situations, had to be called in.
Mr Gungubele said that the incident was "untenable" and "legally unacceptable":
Minister in the Presidency, Mr Mondli Gungubele gives an account of the incident which occurred at St George's Hotel earlier this evening during a meeting between the Presidential Task Team on Matters of Military Veterans and Military Veterans. pic.twitter.com/RYcNq5Pwbf
— Presidency | South Africa 🇿🇦 (@PresidencyZA) October 14, 2021
In the past, military veterans said they felt betrayed by the ANC government because they were never compensated for their contribution in fighting against the brutal apartheid government.
However, military veterans are given a monthly state-funded pension.
Earlier this week the group demonstrated outside the headquarters of the governing ANC, leading to an evacuation.
Latest Stories
-
Fire destroys Afiadenyigba SHS dormitory
17 minutes -
Commuters stranded as train derails after crushing stray cattle at Avenor
22 minutes -
Gov’t “over impressed” IMF with deep expenditure cut in 2025 – Prof Bokpin
35 minutes -
FDA intensifies checks on imported frozen chicken, meat and fish to boost food safety
49 minutes -
Policy rate at 14%: Middle East crisis is the elephant in the room – BoG boss
55 minutes -
Accra High Court grants GH¢100,000 bail to Abronye DC
58 minutes -
Policy rate held at 14% as Middle East Crisis clouds inflation outlook – BoG Governor
1 hour -
Police launch manhunt for suspect in Sekondi for alleged defilement
1 hour -
Arrests must continue until misconduct ceases – David Vondee
1 hour -
WFP and partners assess impact of US-funded school feeding programme
2 hours -
Lastec Auto Centre: The man who sold his Mercedes to build a garage brand in Accra
2 hours -
Ghanaian start-ups can unlock €100K in non-dilutive funding + scaling support via develoPPP Ventures
2 hours -
Today’s Front pages: Thursday, May 21, 2026
2 hours -
UG Professor wins international lifetime achievement award for work on neglected tropical diseases
3 hours -
Prophet John Anokye urges Christians to combine faith with financial wisdom
3 hours