Audio By Carbonatix
The Southern Sector Milo Under 12 and 15 soccer championship formally opened in Koforidua on Wednesday.
One team each of the age groupings from Eastern, Volta, Western and Central Regions are participating in the championship with Greater Accra Region presenting two teams for each of the ages in the tournament
The championship is to select two representatives from each age group from the sector to meet their counterparts from the Northern Sector in the semi-finals in Accra early next year.
The Eastern Regional Minister, Mr Kwadwo Afram-Asiedu said that it was necessary that concrete plans were put in place to develop the potential of the country’s youth at their tender ages to groom them to stardom.
Mr Afram-Asiedu noted that since the current Black Star players would soon fade out as a result of old age, fatigue and injuries, there was the need for preparing a new crop of players capable of taking over from them at the appropriate time.
He expressed the appreciation of the country to Nestle Ghana and their Milo Brand for their continuous investment in all categories of sports.
The Regional Minister called on other corporate bodies and individuals to emulate the efforts of the main sponsors by helping to build stadiums and other facilities in schools and communities in the country.
The Eastern Regional Director of Education, Mrs Akosua Takyiwa Adu said the championship is the right forum to offer the youth in schools the opportunity to be groomed to become future stars.
She urged the players to be disciplined and to listen to their coaches and other technical handlers so that they would be groomed properly to be able to compete favourably with the best soccer nations.
The Brands Manager of Milo, Mr Kwame Wiafe said Nestle had been part of development of juvenile soccer in the country over the years, which has yielded very positive results and helped in the grooming of many players of the current national team.
He said Milo was happy to be given the opportunity to produce another batch of stars for the country within the next five to ten years and gave the assurance of their commitment to the continued financial resources support needed to sustain the programme.
In the opening Under-15 match, Eastern Region drew 1-1 with Greater Accra Region.
Source: GNA
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Bank of Ghana reverts to previous Cash Reserve Ratio policy after scrapping it last year
3 minutes -
Ghana-eligible defender Beres Owusu signs permanent deal with Grazer AK
10 minutes -
A Super El Niño is coming: What does it mean for Ghana?
44 minutes -
Driving Schools Association pushes for mandatory driver training to reduce road crashes
47 minutes -
Climate change exists with or without humans — Youth advocate
1 hour -
Plastic waste driving flooding and climate concerns in Bamaahu — Youth Climate Reporter
1 hour -
This week on The Career Trail
2 hours -
My book was born out of university research – Mary Anane Awuku
2 hours -
“I stepped back from politics for my husband to continue the journey” – Sammi Awuku’s wife
2 hours -
Ghana will receive final IMF cash of US$318 million immediately after July board approval – Mission Chief
2 hours -
Arthur Legacy, CAA Base partner to educate players on transfers, branding
2 hours -
Midie: Children wade through mud daily to go to school
2 hours -
GN Savings and Loans case is not over – Banking consultant
2 hours -
Oh Why, Honourable Alexander Kwamena Afenyo-Markin?
2 hours -
MoGCSP inaugurates, swears in Technical Working Group for new National Plan of Action on elimination of human trafficking
2 hours