Tesco has been fined more than £500,000 after a 10-year-old child was electrocuted by a freezer unit.
The child suffered a small burn, chest and leg pains after they reached to get an ice lolly from the freezer at a store in Warfield, Bracknell.
The Public Protection Service said a live wire had become damaged and exposed and was sticking out under a rail on the freezer.
Tesco fined £500,000 after child electrocutedhttps://t.co/Rulf5PzbLx— BBC South (@BBCSouthNews) December 18, 2020
The supermarket giant pleaded guilty to two health and safety offences.
It was fined £268,000 for each offence at Reading Magistrates Court.
The Local Democracy Reporting Service said an investigation found the incident in July 2017 happened after staff failed to fix an issue with the electrical supply to a glass heating element under a handrail on the front of the freezer.
Subsequent reviews of records showed the freezer’s rail was known to be loose and had temporary fixes of glue or tape months prior to the accident.
Councillor John Harrison, head of public protection at Bracknell Forest Council, said the investigation “revealed significant breaches of health and safety legislation”.
Tesco was sentenced on Tuesday and ordered to pay costs of £25,750.91.
- Playback: Akufo-Addo delivers 25th address on measures taken against Covid-19
- Taskforce destroys excavators allegedly belonging to NPP Women’s Organiser
- Fuel prices to go up again – Chamber of Petroleum Consumers Ghana
- Cameron Duodu: Sɛbe o, tafrakyɛ, na ‘Ɔte K’ɔkɔɔ Soɔ’ deɛ, yɛbɔ n’ano sɛn? – With all due respect, how can the occupant of the Golden Stool be silenced?
- Kokomba warriors kill human-attacking antelopes
- 23-year-old arrested for attempting to sacrifice his nephew for money rituals
- Mahama’s ‘dumsor’ is different from Akufo-Addo’s – Kweku Awotwi
- Armed men attack NPP Communicator
- 2nd dose of Covid-19 vaccines to be deployed from May 19 – Akufo-Addo
- Full text: Akufo-Addo’s 25th address on measures to deal with Covid-19 pandemic
No new Covid-19 cases in Northern Region in 3 weeks
2 dead, 3 injured and others displaced following heavy downpour in Ashanti Region
Okyeame Kwame and wife launch their first book ‘Love Locked Down’
Ter Stegen ruled out of Germany’s Euros plans with knee problem that will require surgery at Barcelona
Digital transformation will determine success of corporate Ghana post-Covid – Ernest De-Graft Egyir
Standards Authority sets standards to regulate sale of eggs
Leicester issue Chelsea apology over Daniel Amartey FA Cup actions
At least 20 cattle shot and wounded after herdsmen allegedly stab man at Abrewankor
If you don’t fix health system, outcome won’t improve irrespective of procurement you make – Asiedu Sarpong
Ongoing financial re-engineering of the power sector is positive – Kweku Awotwi
Armed robbers jailed for robbing, raping pregnant woman
Government exceeds T-Bills target by 3% after slump in recent weeks
Centre for Social Justice and IMANI honour former Auditor General, Domelevo
KIC holds final pitch for 2020 AgriTech Challenge competition
New Juaben Assembly revokes permit for statue after family sued Paramount Chief for ordering its destruction