A 42-year-old Togolese national has been arrested by the Nima police for importing fake Vermox – a drug used to treat worm infections.
Eugene Zomakpw was arrested after port-market surveillance conducted by the Food and Drugs authority (FDA).
The surveillance team impounded more than 21 boxes of the fake drugs in a Redemption Pharmacy shop at St. Johns near Achimota.
According to the FDA, the counterfeit medicine lacks the active ingredient required to perform the deworming function.
Head of Surveillance and Drug Enforcement at the FDA, Issaka Collinson Cofie has warned the public about the fake brand of dewormer because more of it are on the market.
He says the FDA is also collaborating with the Pharmaceutical Society of Ghana and other stakeholders to clamp down on pharmacies which sell these counterfeited drugs.
“We have to collaborate with a lot of our stakeholders. The FDA will issue letters to them including the Ghana Revenue Authority, Customs Division to be on the alert.”
He advised that “if you want to buy any medicine you have to source the medicine through accredited agencies”.
He pleaded with the public to report persons who are dealing in the fake drugs to the FDA or the police.
- ECG’s IT department resisting checks and balance moves by MD – Kwadwo Poku
- Scores of residents displaced, others trapped as Weija, Oblogo and Tetegu flood
- Mankessim murder: We didn’t commit crime with mason; he only dug hole for burying a victim – Chief
- Watch Daddy Lumba break down his hit song ‘Yene Wo Sere Kwa’
- NSMQ 2022 launched; fixtures for preliminary stage released
- ‘I have unfinished business with Black Stars’ – Milovan Rajevac
- I am still receiving threats from people on social media – KiDi
- Kwesi Yankah: Dear Ace Ankomah, the Birim River is gone
- Exclusive photos: Hundreds rendered homeless at Ashalaja
- The viral lynching that was to end Nigeria’s mob justice
- Our leaders are either complicit or incompetent – Ken Ashigbey on galamsey
- I’m not expecting much from Hearts of Oak in Africa because of inconsistency – Amankwa Mireku
- We’re long past the state of emergency – Kofi Bentil on galamsey
- Elon Musk Twitter deal back on in surprise U-turn
- Police on manhunt for man flogging toddler in viral video
- I’m a record-breaker, but they hate to project it – Zahara says of critics
- I am grateful to Asantehene and other chiefs for protecting Dr. Bawumia – Nayiri
- Nigerian child killed in ‘bullet-proof’ charm test
- 95% of human trafficking survivors in shelter homes are Nigerians – Gender Ministry
- From the streets to Mandela’s feet – Zahara tells her story
- Small Scale Miners unhappy with Lands Ministry handling of Wontumi’s mining firm
- Livestream: PM Express discusses ‘Galamsey’
- The Countess of Wessex visits DRC to show urgent need to tackle sexual violence in conflict
- 843 KNUST Mastercard Foundation scholars benefit from short courses
- Your directive to SIGA D-G unnecessary – Clement Apaak tells Akufo-Addo