Twenty-time Grand Slam champion Roger Federer has pulled out of the Tokyo Olympics because of a knee injury.
Federer, 39, lost in the quarter-finals of Wimbledon this year but anticipates re-joining the tour for the hard-court swing later in the year.
The Swiss won doubles gold at Beijing 2008 alongside Stan Wawrinka and silver in 2012 in the singles after losing to Andy Murray in the final in London.
Federer, now ranked number nine in the world, had two knee surgeries in 2020.
In the last two years he has seen his Grand Slam tally equalled by Spain’s Rafael Nadal at the 2020 French Open and most recently by Serbia’s Novak Djokovic – who won a record-equalling 20th major at Wimbledon.
After losing to Poland’s Hubert Hurkacz in the quarter-finals of Wimbledon Federer told reporters he was unsure whether he would play at SW19 again.
- I’ll walk naked to Parliament to protest the anti-LGBTQ bill if it’s approved – Mother of transgender singer affirms
- Anti-LGBTQ Bill won’t meet constitutional test going forward – Dr Poku Adusei
- Anti-LGBTQ Bill: We are making it a crime for anybody to attack any known gay person- Dafeamekpor
- Homeland Study Group Leader, Papavi reported dead
- Embassies’ denial of visas over Anti-LGBTQ bill amounts to imperialism – Economist
- Samson’s Take: Stop hurting with your bad attitude at work
- Anti LGBTQI+ Bill: Does the NDC have one face at home and another face abroad? – Prof. Emerita Manuh asks
- Killer lamps removed from 1,418 vehicles in one week – NRSA
- Nothing will change about fuel prices – CEO of Bulk Oil Distributors
- Don’t misconstrue groups against Anti-LGBTQ Bill as supporters of same-sex related activities – Dr Poku Adusei
French President Macron condemns ‘unforgivable’ 1961 massacre of Algerians in Paris
US Christian missionaries kidnapped in Port-au-Prince – Reports
Over 800,000 Ghanaians fully immunized against Covid-19 – GHS
Mohamed Salah: Liverpool forward ‘the best player’ in the world, says Jurgen Klopp
Paul Pogba: Man Utd need to ‘change something’ after loss to Leicester
ECOWAS deploys 55 observers to Presidential election in Cabo Verde
Ghana’s Sustainable Financing framework published on Finance Ministry’s website
Livestream: Church service with Pastor Mensa Otabil
Human Rights advocate urges Ghanaians to be circumspect with discussions on LGBTQI+ bill
Proscribed lamps removed from 1418 vehicles in one week – NRSA
TECNO Brings Ultra-steady and Ultra-clear Gimbal Camera Phone CAMON 18 Premier
“You’ve all been cowed” – Mahama criticises media for not probing corruption allegations against government
Two-month tax waiver on fuel products “unconstitutional and populist” move – Dafeamekpor
Anti-LGBTQ Bill: We are making it a crime for anybody to attack any known gay person- Dafeamekpor
Reality zone with Vicky Wereko: No quarantine, doors open – UK says you may come, but……