Audio By Carbonatix
Uefa has charged Chelsea players Didier Drogba and Jose Bosingwa for insulting the referee after their Champions League exit at the hands of Barcelona.
Disciplinary proceedings have also been initiated against Chelsea for the improper conduct of their players and the throwing of missiles by their fans.
Uefa has asked for a response by 29 May and will deal with the case on 17 June.
The Blues lost their semi-final after a series of controversial refereeing decisions by Tom Henning Ovrebo.
The Norwegian turned down a host of strong penalty appeals from Chelsea during their 1-1, second leg game at Stamford Bridge on 6 May that saw Barca go through on away goals.
Drogba and several team-mates surrounded Ovrebo after the final whistle to remonstrate with the Norwegian official over several of his decisions.
Drogba continued his verbal attack even after being cautioned, and had to be restrained as Ovrebo went down the tunnel.
Chelsea coach Guus Hiddink had said he hoped Uefa "might perfectly understand that the big apology of his was OK."
But a Uefa statement said: "The club are charged with the improper conduct of their players and the throwing of missiles by their supporters.
"Drogba and Bosingwa are accused of being in breach of the principles of sportsmanship by insulting the referee by making offensive comments."
Bosingwa is in trouble for comments he made to Portuguese television station RTP after the game.
"I don't know if he's a referee or a thief," said Bosingwa at the time. "I don't have any words to describe that man that was on the pitch."
He later also issued an apology, saying: "We were all very disappointed and frustrated after the game, but I regret describing the referee as a thief. Having had some time to reflect I would like to withdraw those comments."
Source: BBC
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Minority Leader slams Mahama’s gov’t over…
23 minutes -
52-old-year cabbie killed in crash on Wenchi–Wa Highway
31 minutes -
Mamprugu Traditional Council calls for probe into alleged abuses linked to Bawku conflict
34 minutes -
Midie schoolchildren wade through mud daily to access education
37 minutes -
Osei Tutu SHS parents appeal for support to complete classroom block
43 minutes -
Heavy Thursday downpour inundates Cape Coast
43 minutes -
Galamsey: Conveners disappointed as police cancel street protest
46 minutes -
Rev Enoch Thompson elected Christian Council Chairman
49 minutes -
Rebranded PNC will be formidable force for 2028 elections – Mornah
54 minutes -
Ghana’s digital cedi targets cross-border trade, financial integration
58 minutes -
Traders at Kotokuraba jubilate over restoration of GN Bank’s licence
59 minutes -
Government announces support package for South Africa evacuees
1 hour -
AGI seeks incentives for renewable energy projects
1 hour -
First non-Interest bank expected in Ghana this year – BoG Governor
1 hour -
Scientist identified more B6 vitamin in Beer than previously anticipated
1 hour