Audio By Carbonatix
At least 24 people have died after torrential rains triggered landslides in eastern Uganda, Red Cross workers say.
Residents fear 35 people may have been killed in Bulambuli district, but only 24 bodies have been recovered so far.
The village of Namwidisi has reportedly been completely submerged in mud.
Last year, hundreds died in a similar incident nearby. Officials said then they would relocate up to half a million people to avoid any repeat.
However, following some local opposition to the plans only a few thousand - those deemed most at risk - were actually moved.
The Minister of State for Relief Disaster Preparedness, Musa Ecweru, said the government planned to push ahead with relocations to avoid more deaths.
"The government plans to procure land every year to relocate people who find themselves in this kind of situation," Mr Ecweru said.
Red Cross workers and villagers are digging in the mud hoping to find survivors and retrieve bodies in the area 270km (167 miles) north-east of the capital, Kampala.
A local chief, his wife and all of his eight children were killed, reported the Daily Monitor, a leading independent Ugandan newspaper.
Several roads in the region have been cut after heavy rains over the past month.
Following last year's disaster on the slopes of Mount Elgon, it was said that rapid population growth had led people to cut down trees on the mountains, making mudslides and flooding more common.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
The NDC doesn’t need a southerner or northerner
1 minute -
NSA assures service personnel of allowance payments by week’s end
8 minutes -
Why COCOBOD’s pay cut is a band-aid on a gaping national wound
8 minutes -
We cannot stop cross-border trade but must protect our traders – Dumelo
11 minutes -
Port security lapses exposed in importation of illegal mining machines – Ashigbey
15 minutes -
One-week observance in honour of Yaw Sarpong slated for February 19
18 minutes -
Ntim Fordjour urges high-level Ghana-Burkina Faso talks after killing of 7 Ghanaians
27 minutes -
Nhyiaeso MP calls for research-backed approach to mandatory tree crop proposal policy
36 minutes -
The impact of expanding fishing limits on local trawlers at Tema fishing harbour
44 minutes -
From “obroni wawu” to “asaase bewu”: Connecting Ghana’s used clothing dilemma to climate change
47 minutes -
Galamsey: MMDCEs, public officials found culpable will be prosecuted—Lands Ministry
50 minutes -
Lands Ministry begins stakeholder engagement on draft CREMA regulations
51 minutes -
We’re a nation of talkers who react to issues and go back to sleep—Sissala East MP
57 minutes -
GACL board tours Hajj Village and key infrastructure projects at KIA
1 hour -
Parliament lays Anti-LGBTQI+ Bill for second reading
1 hour
