Audio By Carbonatix
Brazil and Inter Milan striker Adriano is to take a break from football and "rethink his career".
"I've lost the happiness of playing," he told reporters on Thursday. "I wouldn't like to go back to Italy, I want to live in peace here in Brazil."
Adriano, 27, said he could not say how long he would stay away from the game.
"I don't know if I'm going to stay for one, two or three months without playing," said the former Flamengo star. "I'm going to rethink my career."
He said his agent, Gilmar Rinaldi, would be in contact with Inter next week and said he was aware his decision could cost him financially.
"Gilmar is going to Italy to ask for some time for me and it is fair that I am given no money," he said.
Adriano, whose contract with Inter runs until June 2010, also denied media reports of possible illness or addiction problems.
"I am not sick, alcoholic or a drug user," he said. "Everything I did was well thought out. I talked to my family, my friends and my agent, and I am doing this with my happiness in mind.
"I have nothing against Inter, I just did not like living in Italy. I felt pressured. A lot of people will not understand. It is a bad situation, not easy at all, but it is a choice."
Asked whether he could appear with a Brazilian club, Adriano said the only possibility would be Flamengo.
"If I play in Brazil, it will be for Flamengo. Otherwise, my grandmother would kill me," he joked.
Adriano failed to return to Italy after last week's World Cup qualifiers against Ecuador and Peru, in which he was an unused substitute.
On Monday, his agent said he had stayed in Brazil because of a private matter. Since then, Brazilian media has been full of speculation over what had happened to him.
The forward has struggled with fitness and alcohol problems since the 2006 World Cup, showing only flashes of the form that made him one of the world's most feared strikers.
Source: BBC
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Pope calls for an end to West Bank violence against Palestinians
4 hours -
Shipping slows through Strait of Hormuz after tanker attacks, data shows
4 hours -
Why I stopped trying to quit smoking – Omah Lay
4 hours -
‘What if sharks swallow you’ – Teni warns Burna Boy over ocean stunt
4 hours -
What’s driving men to get penis fillers, despite the risks?
4 hours -
Ngah brace fires Cameroon to historic first WAFCON crown with dominant Malawi victory
5 hours -
Ariana Grande leaves problems at home as her tour hits the UK
5 hours -
‘Ghana was the crime scene’ – the country leading the demand for slavery reparations
5 hours -
Court dismisses Nana Kwame Bediako’s fresh bid to halt $14.9m judgment
5 hours -
Air India pilot’s reported cannabis test: What it can and can’t tell investigators
5 hours -
France’s top court blocks social media ban for under-15s
5 hours -
Fery wins on return as Djokovic reveals health condition after loss
6 hours -
‘Probably my last year’ – Ronaldo hints at retirement
6 hours -
Arsenal cruise to Community Shield win against disappointing Man City
6 hours -
Barcelona agree £65m deal to sign Rodri from Man City
6 hours