According to Black Stars assistant coach, George Boateng, Alidu Seidu was one of the players who impressed the technical team during the 2022 Kirin Cup.
The Clermont Foot 63 defender was part of the Ghana squad that travelled to Japan for the four-nation tournament, which was eventually won by Tunisia.
The defender made his debut for the Black Stars during the opening game against Japan before also featuring in the penalty shootout win over Chile.
Despite being sent off in the game, Boateng revealed that the versatile player showed glimpses of his quality and proved he is ready to play at the highest level.
“I think prior to the Japan trip, nobody in Ghana would have said to us or would have said to himself or herself that Alidu Seidu is very capable enough to play at the World Cup level or at the AFCON level,” he said in an exclusive interview with Joy Sports.
“When we watched the game back, we were very impressed. Yes, he picked up a red card but even that, is also part of education. It’s a learning process for the player and for everybody else because we talked about still having composure and calmness. Even though you’re under stress, when we get to the WC, we would need everybody to stay on the pitch and not pick up unnecessary yellow cards, or unnecessary red cards because it will end up costing you games.
“But, his performance as a player was outstanding. So we have gained something from just one game where we have gained a very good player,” he added.
The 22-year-old is part of the 28-man squad who are currently in France for the friendlies against Brazil and Nicaragua.
- Nigerian singer Teni gifts SHS teacher a car
- Ghana’s debt stock up ¢9bn to ¢402.4bn in July 2022 – BoG
- Akufo-Addo’s fight against illegal mining is a complete ‘419’ – Sammy Gyamfi
- British officials release date for King Charles III’s coronation
- Court orders CID Boss to provide safety report on alleged bride killers
- ‘I have given up on dating; guys do not take me seriously’ – Comedienne Jacinta
- My vehicle was set ablaze on Samatex premises – Wontumi alleges
- FDA concurs with WHO’s caution against four substandard paediatric medicines found in The Gambia
- Black Sherif didn’t lose BET, his nomination is a win – Reggie Rockstone
- Posterity will judge Akufo-Addo, other leaders meanly if galamsey fight is not won – Gabby Otchere-Darko
- Halt PPP arrangement for a laboratory facility – Medical Laboratory Professionals tell government
- Nima Dreams: A documentary about how lack of infrastructure is affecting talent growth
- Opanin Kwadwo Taah (Alias Papa J. K.)
- Submit report on persons responsible for infractions in Auditor-General’s report – Akufo-Addo charges SIGA, A-G
- Gerald Akwasi Koranteng
- Criticism that BoG was too slow in dealing with inflation is unfair – Economist
- Stonebwoy to feature Kenya’s Khaligraph Jones in new single
- Black Sherif’s ‘Oh Paradise’ about late girlfriend gets fans emotional
- Don’t blame us for worsening inflation rate – BoG tells World Bank
- Blunt Thoughts: Losing from both ends – Our natural resources in crisis and our economy in tatters
- Total Mobile Money transactions fall by 2% year-on-year in August 2022; E-levy impact marginal
- IBAG to celebrate Insurance Brokers’ Awareness Month this October
- GRA locks up popular event center ‘Underbridge’
- NSMQ 2022: Competing schools arrive on KNUST campus ahead of prelims
- ‘Galamsey’ got worse under Mahama – NPP tells NDC