Audio By Carbonatix
The Greater Accra Chair of the National Democratic Congress is incensed at what he says is violent attacks on supporters of his party and has called on president elect Nana Akufo-Addo to show leadership.
Ade Coker said the "country is not in a coup situation" and the supporters of the New Patriotic Party cannot be visiting mayhem on their political opponents.
His complaints Monday, follow pockets of violence between supporters of the two leading political parties shortly after last Wednesday's elections.
One person was said to have been lynched last week Friday in Ekumfi in the Central Region whilst three others sustained gunshot wounds.
In Accra, a group said to be linked with the NPP vigilante group, Invincible Forces, on Monday besieged the Tema Motorway toll booth, drove away officials of the toll booth and took custody of the tolls collected for the day.
The leader of the group, Mohammed Ali, justified the takeover, claiming they were only there to monitor events and not to attack them.
He said they took over the monies only when they realised officials at the toll booth were diverting the cash. He added that they handed the cash to the police when they came in.
The attacks appear to be reprisals by supporters of the NPP who few days before the elections complained of being victims of attacks by NDC supporters.
With power changing hands, the NPP supporters have also taken the law into their own hands and are visiting violence on their opponents.
The police have however condemned the recent attacks and have deployed more men to bring sanity to areas of violence.
One person has since been arrested for the lynching whilst investigations continue unabated.
Ade Coker told Joy News editor Dzifa Bampoh the police and the NPP leader can do more to foil these attacks.
According to him, he has received a call that some supporters of the NDC in a community in Dansoman called Glife were attacked by supporters of the NPP.
He called on the president elect Nana Akufo-Addo to whip his supporters in line.
Meanwhile, Chairman of the Peace Council Prof Emmanuel Asante has called on the two political parties to allow the dust on violence to settle.
Latest Stories
-
Berekuso chief appeals to Mahama over deplorable Katesi-Berekuso-Dome-Kwabenya road
4 minutes -
Freda Kingful Abraham Cudjoe: The visionary founder building a creative legacy through Impakers Creative Hub
8 minutes -
Tanker drivers suspend strike after BOST commits to fix Kumasi depot challenges
11 minutes -
Photos: Stonebwoy’s BHIM Festival at OVO Arena Wembley, London
19 minutes -
BoG identifies $4.8bn annual SME financing gap, pushes digital data-driven lending
33 minutes -
Labone bank robbery suspect remanded
37 minutes -
NTC launches 2026 Ghana Teacher Prize to celebrate outstanding educators
38 minutes -
Hanan Abdul-Hamid cannot be forced to face trial without lawyer — Dame
47 minutes -
MTTD to make Accra model city for safe riding – ACP Dr Samuel Sasu Mensah
47 minutes -
NPP Upper West eyes 2028 comeback; dismisses vote-buying allegations in regional executive elections
53 minutes -
Minaata Moomin defeats Nancy Dery in NPP Upper West Regional Women’s Organiser election
55 minutes -
Constituency Games will take Mahama’s ‘Reset Ghana sports agenda’ to every community – Samson Deen
55 minutes -
Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov praises Kwame Nkrumah’s legacy during meeting with Ablakwa
56 minutes -
Bleoo 2G alumni hand over Beatrice Lokko Memorial Eco Park
59 minutes -
‘I will not be available’ – Godfred Dame rejects vacation hearing in Hanan trial
1 hour