Audio By Carbonatix
The Class Media Group (CMG), operators of Accra FM has expressed worry over the arrest and detention of one of its Journalists, Kwabena Bobie Ansah.
The presenter was arrested on Thursday night at 10:00pm right after his political talk show ended, by persons purported to be National Security operatives.
Bobie Ansah is currently being prosecuted for alleged publication of false news and offensive conduct.
The Media Group in a statement issued on February 11, said it received a letter from the National Media Commission (NMC) on February 3 following a petition by the Rebecca Foundation.
The petition was in regards to some pronouncements made against the Executive Director of the Foundation, Mr. Ansah on Accra FM on January 11, 2022.
Management of the station said they have since been cooperating with the NMC and Mr. Ansah on the matter.
The Group has thus noted with serious concerns, the involvement of the Police in the matter.
“We, therefore, find it gravely concerning that the Police Service have gotten involved in a matter that was being duly handled by the NMC, the Constitutional body mandated to address concerns of this nature. Indeed, the actions of the Ghana Police Service on this matter and in recent times, regarding journalists and media practitioners in general, leave much to be desired,” the Group stated.
According to the Group, “the emerging trend where the Ghana Police Service are readily unleashed on journalists for discharging their work is a blot on our fledgling democracy and status as a bastion of media freedom in West Africa and Africa as a whole.”
The Group, however, noted that it will cooperate with the Police to ensure resolution of the matter.
Meanwhile, the Police are on a manhunt for three others whom they said together with the Accra FM broadcaster, Kwabena Bobie Ansah, published false news on his ‘Citizen Show’ on January 11, this year.
This was contained in a statement issued by the Police on Friday, February 11.
On Friday, Mr. Ansah’s supporters gathered at the Striking Force section of the Greater Accra Regional Police Command in Accra Central, where he had been detained.
Police say the suspect will be put before court today.
Latest Stories
-
No break-in, no theft at Ashaiman showroom – Hisense Ghana clarifies
15 minutes -
This Saturday on Newsfile: Attack on free speech and return of GN Bank
36 minutes -
The evidence before High Court continues to expose weakness of the Republic’s case against Wontumi
39 minutes -
I recommended Haruna and Muntaka for ministerial roles — Asiedu Nketia
1 hour -
The Cost of Macroeconomic Stabilization: An Analysis of the Bank ofGhana’s 2025 Financial Deficit
1 hour -
Haruna Iddrisu takes a subtle jibe at Asiedu Nketia’s ‘Thank You Tour’
2 hours -
GSA, PTB donate 50 calibrated weighing scales to Techiman traders on World Metrology Day
2 hours -
US says temporary visa holders should leave to apply for Green Cards
2 hours -
Asiedu Nketia pledges stronger welfare support for former NDC executives
2 hours -
NDC parliamentary leadership reshuffle secured 2024 election victory – Asiedua Nketiah
4 hours -
Agbodza visits Adaklu-Helekpe mudslide victims, warns of more danger around mountain
4 hours -
TTAG urge government’s urgent action on recruitment and postings
4 hours -
World Vision Ghana brings joy to Wa West children with mass birthday celebration
4 hours -
Health Ministry announces mop-up exercise for validation and posting of health professionals
4 hours -
GoldBod wins community backing for responsible mining support program in Ashanti Region
4 hours