Audio By Carbonatix
A long-time resident of Accra New Town says the collapse of a three-storey building that has killed two people did not come as a surprise.
He described it as a tragedy that many in the community feared.
“I have been living in here for over 20 years now, and this building we are seeing very, very weak. Everybody in the community knows that this building is very, very weak, and then they’ll be allowing services and activities inside there, which is very bad,” the resident said.
Two people have been confirmed dead after the structure caved in on Sunday, with rescue teams working late into the night to reach others believed to be trapped under the rubble.
The Accra Mayor, Michael Kpakpo Allotey, confirmed the fatalities, while 14 people have so far been pulled out alive.
The building, an uncompleted three-storey structure located within the premises of the Accra New Town Experimental Basic School, was reportedly being used by Christian worshippers at the time of the incident.
For residents, the warning signs had long been visible.
“They should have known that the building had collapsed. Very, very sad,” the resident lamented.
Emergency responders, including the Ghana Police Service, National Disaster Management Organisation, and the Ghana National Fire Service, have deployed to the scene, using floodlights and heavy equipment to continue rescue operations after dark.
Authorities say several people may still be trapped beneath the debris, with reports that some victims can be heard calling for help.
“A lot of people are trapped there. They are all hoping that the rescue team can do their best on the same day,” the resident added.
The cause of the collapse remains unclear, but the incident has already raised fresh concerns about safety standards and enforcement in the area.
Latest Stories
-
Ghana to bid farewell to Aps Kwadwo Safo as funeral rites set for July 30
13 minutes -
Video: Moment Arsenal players found out they were Premier League 2025/26 champions
16 minutes -
GSA shuts down 5A Homes for allegedly producing substandard mattresses
46 minutes -
Heads of SHSs cite Buffer Stock Company over missing cost details of food supplies
47 minutes -
Gov’t breached oil fund law for 5 years, kept $100m cap instead of $584m – PIAC report
48 minutes -
Buffer Stock Company says SHS food prices are agreed by stakeholders, denies lack of transparency
48 minutes -
Future Athletics stars ready to shine at UG Invitational meet
51 minutes -
Asantewaa Empowerment Initiative launches campaign against drug abuse and teenage pregnancy in Juaben
51 minutes -
PAC orders Anlo-Afiadanyigba SHS to pay GH₵10k arrears to casual workers
1 hour -
Rockefeller Foundation awards over US$350m, reaching 731 million people amid global aid decline
1 hour -
Women bear the heaviest burden after climate disasters – GreenFaith Africa
2 hours -
APN calls for urgent mobile money interoperability across Africa
2 hours -
Portugal’s Ronaldo set for record sixth World Cup
2 hours -
Cedi depreciates by 8.4% against dollar in interbank market
2 hours -
Arsenal are 2025/26 EPL champions after Man City draw at Bournemouth
2 hours