WAFA preserved their unbeaten record in the Normalisation Committee Special Cup with a 3-2 win over Hearts of Oak in Sogakope on Sunday.
The Academy Boys, as a result, have taken over the top spot in Zone B. WAFA made a bright start and deservedly took the lead in the 12th minute when Jamal Haruna connected into the roof of the net from an acute angle.
However, Heats captain Fatawu Mohammed restored parity before halftime.
After the break, Hearts of Oak looked better and dominant but WAFA were more purposeful upfront. They scored two goals through Lomotey and Bortey Acquaye before the 58th minute to make it 3-1.
The Phobians reduced the deficit with less than ten minutes on the clock when Christopher Bonney converted a spot kick.
In Tema, Isaac Donkor was the unsung hero Ebusua Dwarfs stunned Inter Allies 1-0 to end their winless run in the competition. The Cape Coast-based side had earned just one point from five games before Sunday.
At the Carl Reindorf Park in Dansoman, Simon Zibo scored in the first half to help Liberty Professionals overcome a stubborn Dreams FC side while Elmina Sharks overpowered Karela United 2-0.
Elsewhere in Zone A, Berekum Chelsea produced a spirited performance to earn their first win of the competition at the expense of AshantiGold. The only goal of the game was scored by Kwame Amoako Antwi in the 70th minute.
Aduana Stars were held to a shock 1-1 draw by Bechem United as Medeama moved to the second position on Zone A table with a slender 1-0 win over Eleven Wonders in Tarkwa.
STANDINGS AFTER MATCHDAY 6 IN NC SPECIAL CUP
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- CAF adopts one-leg finals for club competitions
- Real Zaragoza sign Raphael Dwamena from Levante
- Caf expands Women's AFCON to 12 teams
- Tunisia v Nigeria: kick-off time, team news, head to head, form and more
- Blatter labels Samoura's Caf move 'colonialist'
- Pernell Whitaker was unique - Eddie Pappoe
- #AFCON Offside: Ismailia, the beautiful city without V8 [Photos]
- Ghana Football Awards billboards hit town
- Marc Batchelor: South African former footballer shot dead
- Meeting to discuss start of 2019/20 league season called off
- AFCON 2019: Cameroon fire Seedorf after knockout failure
- AFCON 2019: This generation is better than mine - Aliou Cisse
- Azumah pays tribute to former opponent Whitaker
- Pernell 'SweetPea' Whitaker, vanquisher of Azumah Nelson, dies in car accident
- Caf boss Ahmad paid expenses for same days but different countries