Violence against women in connection with witchcraft continues to rise in the Northeast Region despite President Akufo-Addo’s intervention to end the menace.
President Akufo-Addo in February this year sent a delegation to the region led by his special advisor on Gender and Development, Angela Asante after a JoyNews report exposed how two women from the Mamprusi East community were accused of witchcraft and subjected to severe torture by a Togolese priest.
The delegation on the fact-finding mission also held meetings with both the Regional Security Council and the House of Chiefs to express the President’s anger with the development as well as tasked the two bodies to work to ensure the practice was brought under control.
However, authorities at the Gambaga witch camp say nothing has changed since the visit by the presidential delegation.
According to the camp’s coordinator, Sampson Laar, nearly 10 women have since been accused and violently banished from their communities without any action from the security services.
Eliasu Tanko has more in the following video report.
- Nigerian singer Teni gifts SHS teacher a car
- Brother stands in as groom skips wedding to train
- Ghana’s debt stock up ¢9bn to ¢402.4bn in July 2022 – BoG
- Daniel Afriyie Barnieh to run down Hearts contract as he rejects new deal
- Akufo-Addo’s fight against illegal mining is a complete ‘419’ – Sammy Gyamfi
- Parliament warns Herald Editor to cease exposés on controversial GNPC/Genser Energy contract
- British officials release date for King Charles III’s coronation
- Increase price of bag of cocoa to ¢1,500 or we smuggle it – Farmers
- My vehicle was set ablaze on Samatex premises – Wontumi alleges
- Court orders CID Boss to provide safety report on alleged bride killers
- Blunt Thoughts: Losing from both ends – Our natural resources in crisis and our economy in tatters
- Total Mobile Money transactions fall by 2% year-on-year in August 2022; E-levy impact marginal
- IBAG to celebrate Insurance Brokers’ Awareness Month this October
- GRA locks up popular event center ‘Underbridge’
- NSMQ 2022: Competing schools arrive on KNUST campus ahead of prelims
- ‘Galamsey’ got worse under Mahama – NPP tells NDC
- ‘I have given up on dating; guys do not take me seriously’ – Comedienne Jacinta
- Kuami Eugene grabs 2022 BMI London award
- Former Arsenal star Emmanuel Petit calls for Thomas Partey backup in January
- Bawumia has been a disaster as head of economic management team – Felix Kwakye Ofosu
- People like our union – Shatta Wale on why he requested to collaborate with Michy
- Qatar 2022: Ghana vs Uruguay not a ‘revenge’ game – Andre Ayew
- Malta Guinness WPL: Ridge City take on Essiam Socrates; Pearlpia face Prisons Ladies on Day 1
- I think Black Sherif is Bob Marley reincarnate – Sonnie Badu
- Prudential Bank leads conversation on Pan-African Payment and Settlement System