Audio By Carbonatix
Two senior Iranian judges have been shot dead in an apparent assassination in the country's supreme court.
Ali Razini and Mohammad Moghiseh were killed after an armed man entered the court, in the capital Tehran, on Saturday morning.
The attacker is said to have then killed themselves while fleeing the scene, according to the judiciary's news website, Mizan. A bodyguard was also injured in the attack.
The motive for the attack is unclear, but both judges are said to have played a role in the persecution and killing of opponents of the Islamic regime throughout the 1980s and 1990s.
In a statement to state news agency IRNA, the judiciary's media office described the attack as premeditated assassination.
It also said that, according to initial findings, the attacker had not been involved in any case considered by the Supreme Court, and an investigation had been launched to identify and arrest any further people who may have been involved in the attack.
The judiciary's spokesman, Asghar Jahangir, told Iranian state TV that the attacker had entered the court carrying a handgun before opening fire.
One of the judges, Razini, had survived an assassination attempt in 1998. He was one of the most senior judicial figures in Iran.
The other, Moghiseh, was sanctioned by the US in 2019, with the treasury department accusing him of having "overseen countless unfair trials, during which charges went unsubstantiated and evidence was disregarded".
At that time, he was a judge in the Tehran Revolutionary Court. He was reportedly named to the supreme court in 2020.
Moghiseh was also among seven Iranian judges sanctioned by Canada in 2023 for what the country described as "their role in gross and systematic human rights violations".
Latest Stories
-
AFCON U-17: Black Starlets beat South Africa 3-1 but await CAF draw of lots to determine fate
15 minutes -
NATARAJ Art competition inspires young creativity in Ghana
3 hours -
Ebola vaccine could take nine months as death toll rises further, WHO warns
3 hours -
Money can be traced in GIIF ‘Sky Train’ case – Kow Essuman fires back at Deputy AG
3 hours -
25/26 UEFA Europa League: Unai Emery leads Aston Villa to first European trophy in 44 years
3 hours -
Southampton lose appeal against play-off expulsion
3 hours -
SkySat Technologies, Konica Minolta launch VIP Experience in Accra
4 hours -
Africa’s capital must power digital innovation and infrastructure – KGL Group Chair
4 hours -
Policy rate cuts won’t spur growth without cheaper bank loans – Economist
4 hours -
OBZ Group founder urges regulation of fuel sales in galamsey communities
4 hours -
Closure of Kaneshie footbridge forces traders, commuters to risk crossing highway daily
4 hours -
World Bank mission team pays courtesy call on Gender Minister
5 hours -
Aggrieved customers threaten fresh protests at Finance Ministry over unpaid locked up funds
5 hours -
‘Did Mahama lie his way to power?’ – Gold Coast Customers react to compensation delay
5 hours -
“We don’t have the money to pay” – Finance Minister tells financial sector victims
5 hours