Audio By Carbonatix
The Vice President, Mahamudu Bawumia, has replied former President John Mahama’s assertions that the financial sector clean-up was mishandled by the central bank.
In his view, the reforms by the Bank of Ghana, are in order and have brought finality to problems caused by “lack of oversight and years of poor regulation” superintended by the erstwhile Mahama administration.
Dr. Bawumia said at the launch of a UN-sponsored housing project in Accra Wednesday, that had the BoG not taken the “bull by the horn” to clean-up the sector, more than 4.6million people would have lost their deposits; a number the Veep says is seven times the government workforce.
He said that much people losing their money would have been the real “national security threat,” referencing Mahama’s assertions in a Facebook live video that the financial sector challenges are a threat to national security.
According to Dr. Bawumia, who once served a Deputy Governor of the BoG, the mode of clean up by the central bank is the best considering nature of the rot.
In 2017, Capital Bank and UT Bank had their licenses revoked and their assets and liabilities were absorbed by state-owned GCB Bank.
Since then, seven banks have been collapsed and have been consolidated to form the Consolidated Bank Ghana Limited owned by the state.
The BoG says some of these banks acquired their licenses through fraudulent means “by presenting non-existing capital.”
However, no persons have been convicted of any offenses.
Twenty-three microfinance institutions were also collapsed last week. Many experts have lauded the central bank for taking the bold step. “It is long overdue,” some said.
Addressing the BoG’s approach to the clean-up, Mahama lamented the loss of jobs and the collapse of Ghanaian owned businesses.
John Mahama is gunning to returning to office in 2021
But in a reply, the Veep says the clean-up has rather saved some 3,000 jobs which would have been lost if the struggling banks were left to collapse.
He said the GCB Bank and the Consolidated Bank have retained thousands of employees from the defunct institutions.
Latest Stories
-
What is wrong with us: Africans know mining, but do not understand the business and consequences of mining
12 minutes -
Ghana Sports Fund begins grassroots field assessment in Volta North, uncovers talent and infrastructure gaps
15 minutes -
Persons with disabilities are not objects of pity — Volta Social Welfare Director urges mindset shift
25 minutes -
Burkina Faso attack: Desist from sharing gory images of victims – Muntaka
38 minutes -
Political scientist supports NDC dual-role directive, calls for legal backing
48 minutes -
GH¢5.7bn haemorrhage: Ghana’s tomato crisis exposed as Chamber of Agribusiness unveils 2030 rescue plan
53 minutes -
Fifi Kwetey slams opponents of directive on dual roles as ‘greedy’ and ‘mercenaries’
1 hour -
Analyst condemns victim-shaming in Russian exploitation saga
1 hour -
Ghana’s Blue Economy in 2026: Taking actions now, leveraging blue resources for sustainable growth
2 hours -
I was once a ‘Bob no rank’; Everybody will have their turn — Afenyo to TESCON members
2 hours -
Tony Aidoo urges NDC to focus on policy communication, not personal praise for Mahama
2 hours -
Akuafoɔ Anidasoɔ: A new dawn for Ghana’s farmers
2 hours -
NTC announces eligibility criteria and registration details for 2026 GTLE 1
2 hours -
No public land to be allocated without minister’s prior approval – Armah-Buah announces sweeping reforms to protect state lands
3 hours -
Ashanti Regional Minister inaugurates spatial planning committees, unveils plan to restore Kumasi’s green glory
3 hours
