Audio By Carbonatix
A New York City-based fashion college has apologised after a catwalk show was labelled racist.
Models were asked to wear prosthetic ears, lips and bushy eyebrows for a collection run by fashion design students at the event in Manhattan.
The accessories were criticised online after an African-American model said she would not wear the "clearly racist" items at the event on 7 February.
The Fashion Institute of Technology said the matter was being investigated.
"Currently," its president Joyce F Brown said in a statement, "it does not appear that the original intent of the design, the use of accessories or the creative direction of the show was to make a statement about race.
"However, it is now glaringly obvious that has been the outcome. For that, we apologise - to those who participated in the show, to students, and to anybody who has been offended by what they saw."
The fashion show made headlines earlier this month when an African-American model revealed she was asked to wear the accessories.
Amy Lefevre told the New York Post she advised staff at the show that she felt uncomfortable wearing the items, but was told "it was fine to feel uncomfortable for only 45 seconds".
Jonathan Kyle Farmer, chair of the modern fine arts fashion design course which ran the show, has apologised directly to the model.
"I deeply apologise for any harm and pain I've caused to those involved with the show," he said in an Instagram post, "including Amy Lefevre.
"I take full responsibility and am committed to learning from this situation and taking steps to do better."
- Ms Lefevre did not wear the accessories when she walked down the runway
The fashion show made headlines earlier this month when an African-American model revealed she was asked to wear the accessories.
Amy Lefevre told the New York Post she advised staff at the show that she felt uncomfortable wearing the items, but was told "it was fine to feel uncomfortable for only 45 seconds".
Jonathan Kyle Farmer, chair of the modern fine arts fashion design course which ran the show, has apologised directly to the model.
"I deeply apologise for any harm and pain I've caused to those involved with the show," he said in an Instagram post, "including Amy Lefevre.
"I take full responsibility and am committed to learning from this situation and taking steps to do better."
- Ms Lefevre did not wear the accessories when she walked down the runwayDISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Ronaldinho seeks 300th goal with comeback aged 46
5 hours -
Your voice, your future – Opare Addo opens National Youth Forum 2026
5 hours -
GRA pushes data-driven tax administration to boost revenue mobilisation
5 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Presby SHS, Bompata crushes Sacred Heart’s hopes of reaching one-eighth stage
5 hours -
Africa Golf Tourism Convention opens in South Africa to unlock opportunities
5 hours -
BOGISS alleged sexual assault: Dr Apaak demands protection for autism victim
5 hours -
GTEC trains tertiary officials on new affiliation quality assurance framework
5 hours -
Luv FM High School Debate: OKESS, OSASS silence K’Wey Gey and KASS in fierce round of 16
5 hours -
Alcaraz to play US Open after four months out
5 hours -
Even if all foreigners leave, South Africa’s problems will remain – Dr Yamson blames state failure
6 hours -
Mahama announces GH¢500m district housing programme; rollout to begin this year
6 hours -
Energy Committee yet to receive July 29 blackout report – Adomako-Mensah
6 hours -
Five in six Ghana health facilities fall short of basic sanitation standard – WHO/UNICEF
6 hours -
Mohammed Fuseini in talks over Troyes move from Union SG
6 hours -
‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September
7 hours