Audio By Carbonatix
An Ecuadorean woman has died days after mourners at her funeral were shocked to find her alive in her coffin.
Bella Montoya, 76, was first declared dead by a doctor at a hospital in the city of Babahoyo last week.
But when mourners attending her wake heard her knocking on her coffin, she was immediately rushed back to the same hospital for treatment.
After seven days in intensive care, Ecuador's health ministry confirmed she died on Friday from an ischemic stroke.
The ministry's statement added that she had remained under "permanent surveillance" while at the hospital.
Speaking to a local newspaper, her son,Gilbert Barbera said, "This time my mother really did die. My life will not be the same."
Following her death on 16 June, Ms Montoya was taken back to the same funeral home ahead of her burial at a public cemetery, local media is reporting.
Local media reported Ms Montaya had a condition called catalepsy - where a person experiences seizure, loss of consciousness, and the body becomes rigid.
A commission of experts has been assembled by the Ecuadorian health ministry to review her case.
Ms Montoya was placed in a coffin and taken to the funeral parlour in Babahoyo, south-west of capital Quito, after being declared dead on 9 June.
But after almost five hours inside, the woman gasped for air after her relatives opened the coffin to change her clothes for the funeral.
Minutes later, she was stretchered out by fire fighters and transferred back to the same hospital.
Bella Montoya is not the only person to "come alive" after being officially declared dead.
In February, an 82-year-old woman was found to be breathing while lying in a funeral home in New York State. She had been pronounced dead three hours earlier at a nursing home.
Latest Stories
-
Ronaldinho seeks 300th goal with comeback aged 46
47 minutes -
Your voice, your future – Opare Addo opens National Youth Forum 2026
58 minutes -
GRA pushes data-driven tax administration to boost revenue mobilisation
1 hour -
NSMQ 2026: Presby SHS, Bompata crushes Sacred Heart’s hopes of reaching one-eighth stage
1 hour -
Africa Golf Tourism Convention opens in South Africa to unlock opportunities
1 hour -
BOGISS alleged sexual assault: Dr Apaak demands protection for autism victim
1 hour -
GTEC trains tertiary officials on new affiliation quality assurance framework
1 hour -
Luv FM High School Debate: OKESS, OSASS silence K’Wey Gey and KASS in fierce round of 16
1 hour -
Alcaraz to play US Open after four months out
1 hour -
Even if all foreigners leave, South Africa’s problems will remain – Dr Yamson blames state failure
2 hours -
Mahama announces GH¢500m district housing programme; rollout to begin this year
2 hours -
Energy Committee yet to receive July 29 blackout report – Adomako-Mensah
2 hours -
Five in six Ghana health facilities fall short of basic sanitation standard – WHO/UNICEF
2 hours -
Mohammed Fuseini in talks over Troyes move from Union SG
2 hours -
‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September
2 hours