Audio By Carbonatix
There is indignation in France after the headteacher of a Paris school resigned because of fears for his life.
The head was sent death threats after he insisted that a teenage girl remove her Islamic head-covering inside the school, in accordance with French law.
His name has not been made public. Two people, who had no link with the school, have been detained.
The Islamist threat to French schools is taken extremely seriously since the murders of two teachers.
The Paris school headteacher announced his decision in an email sent on Friday to colleagues at the Maurice Ravel Lycée in the 20th district of Paris.
"I have finally taken the decision to quit my functions," he explained, "out of concern for my own safety and that of the establishment."
"I leave after seven years, rich and intense, spent at your side, and after 45 years in public education," he wrote, thanking his colleagues for the support they had shown him over the past three weeks.
In the incident, which took place on 28 February, the head told three female pupils they should obey the law by removing their head coverings.
Two complied, but the third did not and there was an altercation.
In the days that followed, the head was the object of death threats on social media, which were signalled by the school to an interior ministry hotline.
Police were sent to patrol around the school, which also received a visit from Education Minister Nicole Belloubet.

Politicians from both left and right expressed outrage that the career of a respected teacher should be ended by a hate campaign on the Internet.
"This government is incapable of protecting our schools," said Marine Le Pen of the hard-right National Rally on X, formerly known as Twitter.
"It is defeat for the state… and the gangrene of Islamism gains yet more ground," said her niece Marion Maréchal of the rival hard-right party Reconquest.
"This is where you end up when your policy is 'don't make waves'. This is where all those little surrenders lead to," said Bruno Retailleau of the centre-right Republicans.
"It's unacceptable. When a headteacher steps down because of death threats, it is a collective failure," said Boris Vallaud of the Socialist Party.
In a separate development, several Paris schools were forced to close on Wednesday after they received bomb threats from apparent Islamists.
Last week around 30 other schools in the Paris area received similar threats, accompanied by a video of a beheading.
While investigators are obliged to take the threats seriously, they cannot rule out that they are part of a Russian disinformation campaign.
Prime Minister Gabriel Attal warned earlier this month that the Kremlin had embarked on a "massive destabilisation enterprise" to undermine French support for Ukraine.
Latest Stories
-
Banking sector marks historic moment with the inauguration of the Chartered Bankers Ladies Association
3 minutes -
Ivory Coast considers following Ghana with cocoa farm gate price cut, sources say
20 minutes -
Capacity-building workshop guides Northern Ghana Wikimedians on effective communication
28 minutes -
Gov’t trying to minimise backlash after Torkornoo’s removal – NPP on failed petitions to remove EC, Special Prosecutor
37 minutes -
AMA Sanitation Court convicts 10 fishmongers for drying anchovies on road median; orders arrest of 7 others
44 minutes -
Joy Clean Ghana: AMA arrests 4 in Agbogbloshie clampdown
52 minutes -
BoG urges banks to list on GSE to deepen Capital Markets, strengthen governance
1 hour -
Photos: President Mahama visits Burkina Faso terror attack survivors at 37 Military Hospital
1 hour -
Sam Jonah’s open letter to the Heads of State of the African Union
2 hours -
Motor rider remanded in custody for killing illegal minerÂ
2 hours -
Don’t relax rules for credit discipline – Dr. Asiama warns banks
2 hours -
Blue Water guards in Adaklu: Governance or political optics?
2 hours -
Vice President commends Ashanti Region’s progress on security, infrastructure, and sanitation
2 hours -
Photos from Local Content Summit in Takoradi
2 hours -
Health Ministry commends swift response to baby theft incident at Mamprobi Polyclinic
2 hours
