Audio By Carbonatix
The Olympic organisers in France played the wrong national anthem for South Sudan ahead of the country's opening men's basketball game against Puerto Rico.
Spectators in the Pierre Mauroy stadium on Sunday booed as the Sudanese anthem was played instead of that of South Sudan.
The audio was corrected after a short pause, followed by an ovation from the crowd.
The organisers of the Olympic Games in Paris released a statement apologising for the "human error". One of South Sudan's players later told reporters the gaffe was "disrespectful".
"They [the organisers] have to be better because this is the biggest stage, and you know that South Sudan is playing," said Majok Deng.

"There’s no way you can get that wrong by playing a different anthem. It’s disrespectful," he continued.
"Obviously, nobody’s perfect. They made a mistake. They played it at the end, and we moved on."
The organisers of the Paris 2024 Olympic Games gave their "most sincere apologies to the team from South Sudan and their supporters for the human error."
"We fully understand the gravity of the mistake," the statement read.
It is the second time organisers have had to apologise for such a gaffe - during the opening ceremony on Friday, South Korea's athletes were mistakenly introduced as the "Democratic People's Republic of Korea" - the official name of North Korea.
The South Sudanese team went on to beat Puerto Rico by 90 points to 79.
South Sudan gained independence from Sudan in 2011 after a protracted conflict, and qualified for the Olympic Games for the first time last year.
Last week, South Sudan lost to the United States by just one point in an exhibition game that was won in the last seconds.
Latest Stories
-
Inter-Agency Football Gala: YEA organize event as part of National Youth Month celebration
20 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: St. Francis Xavier deny debutants Pentecost SHS one-eighth spot
1 hour -
NSMQ 2026: Tamale SHS sweep aside Kalpohin, Wenchi Methodist to reach one-eighth stage
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Tears of relief as Labone SHS survive Notre Dame Sem. in thriller to secure one-eighth spot
2 hours -
Onga Tomato Mix unveils Diana Hamilton as Brand Ambassador
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Winneba Secondary School holds off Fijai SHS to reach one-eighth stage
3 hours -
KNUST assures staff, public over statute review process amid UTAG concerns
3 hours -
CLOGSAG Executive Secretary Dr Isaac Bampoe Addo passes on
3 hours -
Take post-flood disinfection seriously to prevent disease outbreaks – Environmental Health Officer backs Zoomlion
3 hours -
Zoomlion launches fumigation exercise across 14 MMDAs in Western Region
3 hours -
UTAG-KNUST votes to retain elections for Pro-Vice Chancellors and Deans
3 hours -
Newsfile to discuss nationwide blackouts, GoldBod controversy, galamsey and water quality
3 hours -
Adamus must settle GRA, MIIF and financial institutions liabilities under new turnaround roadmap
4 hours -
Big Chef Season Five returns with Gari Fotor Challenge this Sunday
4 hours -
Gov’t to form 6-member team to supervise Adamus mine turnaround
4 hours