Audio By Carbonatix
World number one Jannik Sinner says he will be "100%" for Friday's Wimbledon semi-final against Novak Djokovic after injuring his elbow earlier in the week.
The 23-year-old Italian fell during the first game of his fourth-round tie with Grigor Dimitrov on Monday and took a medical time-out to receive treatment.
He was two sets down against Dimitrov but ultimately progressed after his opponent retired through injury.
Sinner only had a light 20-minute hit with his coaches on Tuesday and wore strapping and a protective sleeve on his racquet arm during Wednesday's quarter-final victory over Shelton.
The only sign of discomfort he showed was when he grimaced and shook out his arm after returning one of Shelton's huge serves in the second set.
"The pain is getting better," Sinner told BBC Sport. "I played today with some painkillers, which helped me to get through.
"Returning fast serves is not easy. But yes, it's not something crazy serious because if not I would be much more concerned.
"Time will always help and [Thursday] is one day off, which is going to be good for me, and Friday I'm going to be 100%."
Djokovic, bidding for a standalone record 25th Grand Slam singles title, lost to Sinner in the French Open last four just five weeks ago.
The two have also met twice before at Wimbledon - in the quarter-finals in 2022 and the semi-finals in 2023, with Djokovic winning on both occasions.
However, three-time Grand Slam champion Sinner has won their past four meetings.
"Me and Novak, we know each other better because we have played quite a lot," Sinner said.
"I've never won against him here in Wimbledon so it's going to be a very, very tough challenge."
Sinner also said he decided to play in new shoes for his match with Shelton to reduce the chances of slipping again.
"I played with completely new shoes to have more grip," he added.
"I haven't even played practice [in them]. It was completely new, which usually on other surfaces I don't do.
"On grass the main priority is to have lots of grip so I have to get used to it."
It's going to take best of me to win - Djokovic
Seven-time champion Djokovic beat Italian Flavio Cobolli in four sets to secure his semi-final spot but also suffered an injury scare himself during the match.
Leading 5-4 in the fourth set and serving for the match, he slipped and fell awkwardly as he attempted to move for a shot.
It prompted concern from the crowd and Djokovic initially appeared in discomfort when he got up, but shook it off to win the next two points and secure victory.
"There is a concern, but we'll see in the next 24 to 48 hours. It was an awkward, nasty fall," Djokovic told BBC Sport.
"I'm going to address it with my team and hope that the severity is not too bad."
Djokovic has now broken the record for most Wimbledon men's singles semi-final appearances with 14, moving one clear of eight-time champion Roger Federer.
It is also a 52nd Grand Slam semi-final appearance for Djokovic, extending his all-time record in the men's game.
But regardless of his impressive record, he knows he will need to be at his very best against Sinner.
"I am just trying to focus on my recovery right now and getting my body in shape for very physical battle," he said of his preparations for the match.
"Hopefully I can deliver the level and be able to stay with him because it's going to take the best of me at the moment to beat Jannik.
"That's the only thing I'm thinking about right now - just getting myself physically and mentally in the right state so I can fight with him for as long as it's necessary."
Latest Stories
-
Inter-Agency Football Gala: YEA organize event as part of National Youth Month celebration
1 hour -
Receiver fights High Court order to hand over No.1 Oxford Street Hotel to Cheddar’s company
2 hours -
Partey begins new chapter in Saudi Arabia with Al Shabab
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: St. Francis Xavier deny debutants Pentecost SHS one-eighth spot
2 hours -
One killed in sword attack at Swedish school
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Tamale SHS sweep aside Kalpohin, Wenchi Methodist to reach one-eighth stage
3 hours -
Tupac murder accused told police in 2008 his nephew fired fatal shots
3 hours -
Heart of the Beast to Practical Magic 2: 10 of the best films to watch this September
3 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Tears of relief as Labone SHS survive Notre Dame Sem. in thriller to secure one-eighth spot
3 hours -
Onga Tomato Mix unveils Diana Hamilton as Brand Ambassador
3 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Winneba Secondary School holds off Fijai SHS to reach one-eighth stage
4 hours -
KNUST assures staff, public over statute review process amid UTAG concerns
4 hours -
CLOGSAG Executive Secretary Dr Isaac Bampoe Addo passes on
4 hours -
Take post-flood disinfection seriously to prevent disease outbreaks – Environmental Health Officer backs Zoomlion
4 hours -
Zoomlion launches fumigation exercise across 14 MMDAs in Western Region
4 hours