Audio By Carbonatix
The Ghana Education Trust Fund (GETFund) has challenged individuals making claims about the sale of scholarships to provide evidence, warning that it will take legal action if the allegations persist.
In a statement issued on Wednesday, 4 February 2026, GETFund said its attention had been drawn to allegations made by Mr Kofi Ofosu Nkansah, former Chief Executive Officer of the National Entrepreneurship and Innovation Plan (NEIP), during a panel discussion on Sompa FM/TV.
The Fund stressed that its scholarship scheme operates under strict guidelines and is transparent and merit-based.
In the statement, GETFund described the accusations as false and damaging to its reputation.
“We hereby demand that any individual making such baseless claims must be ready to provide evidence to substantiate their allegations,” the Fund stated.
GETFund warned that it would not hesitate to invoke the law to protect its institutional integrity.
“Should these false accusations persist, GETFund will be compelled to pursue all available legal remedies to protect its reputation and ensure that any defamatory statements are addressed appropriately,” the statement said.
The Fund also urged constructive engagement rather than unproven accusations.
“The Fund calls on all Ghanaians to refrain from making baseless accusations that could impugn the reputation of vital state institutions. We welcome constructive dialogues to address any concerns,” it added.
Read Also: Scholarships for sale? – Presidency triggers NIB probe after explosive radio allegation
GETFund reiterated that its scholarship process is grounded in fairness, merit and accountability, and forms part of its broader mandate to support Ghana’s educational development.
The GETFUND statement comes after the presidency ordered an immediate investigation into allegations that Ghana’s overseas scholarship system may have been compromised, following claims aired on the radio that an individual was paid to secure a scholarship to study abroad.
The directive, issued on Tuesday and signed by the Secretary to the President, Dr Callistus Mahama, instructs the National Investigation Bureau (NIB) to probe what the Presidency describes as a matter of “grave public concern.”
“The President considers the allegation to be serious and of grave public concern,” the statement said, noting that the matter directly touches on the government’s stated commitment to “transparency, integrity, and equal access to educational opportunities.”
Latest Stories
-
Ice baths, almond milk, meditation and a ‘house like a hospital’: The secrets of Salah’s success
1 hour -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: GN Savings and Loans licence restoration and the Abronye bail debate
2 hours -
Putin vows retaliation after accusing Ukraine of hitting student dormitory
3 hours -
2026 ACI World Congress: In Accra, a quiet reframe of how emerging markets see themselves
3 hours -
No break-in, no theft at Ashaiman showroom – Hisense Ghana clarifies
3 hours -
This Saturday on Newsfile: Attack on free speech and return of GN Bank
3 hours -
Opinion: The evidence before High Court continues to expose weakness of the Republic’s case against Wontumi
3 hours -
Ebola risk raised to ‘very high’ in DR Congo
4 hours -
I recommended Haruna and Muntaka for ministerial roles — Asiedu Nketia
4 hours -
The Cost of Macroeconomic Stabilization: An Analysis of the Bank ofGhana’s 2025 Financial Deficit
4 hours -
Isaac Nlason elected SRC President of the Ghana School of Law
4 hours -
Haruna Iddrisu takes a subtle jibe at Asiedu Nketia’s ‘Thank You Tour’
4 hours -
GSA, PTB donate 50 calibrated weighing scales to Techiman traders on World Metrology Day
5 hours -
US says temporary visa holders should leave to apply for Green Cards
5 hours -
Asiedu Nketia pledges stronger welfare support for former NDC executives
5 hours