Audio By Carbonatix
Security consultant and professor at the Kofi Annan International Peacekeeping Training Centre (KAIPTC), Prof. Kwesi Aning, has sharply criticised Ghanaian authorities for failing to issue a formal travel advisory to traders regularly travelling to Burkina Faso, despite escalating terrorist violence in the Sahel.
His remarks follow a deadly terrorist attack on Ghanaian tomato traders near Titao, a town in northern Burkina Faso, on Saturday, February 14, 2026 — Valentine’s Day.
Speaking on JoyNews AM Show on Tuesday, Prof. Aning revealed that he had asked a producer to verify whether any Ghanaian institution — including the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Ghana Road Transport Union or even the Tomato Sellers Association — had issued a warning to traders travelling to Burkina Faso, Mali or Algeria.
He said the findings were deeply troubling: no such warning had been issued.
“When a state fails its people at their critical point of need, words of sympathy almost don’t mean anything,” Prof. Aning said.
“For our people to voluntarily travel to a war zone in search of livelihood — I just tell a dramatic story.”
According to Interior Minister Mohammed Muntaka Mubarak, who spoke on JoyNews on Monday, the traders were in Titao when jihadists launched an attack, specifically targeting the men. Among those travelling on one truck were ten men, including the driver, and eight women. Seven men were killed, and three others sustained serious injuries. Some of the women were affected but not seriously injured.
However, the President of the Ghana National Tomatoes Transporters and Sellers Association, Eric Tuffuor, stated that eleven men were killed in the attack. He described how the attackers shot the men on sight, kidnapped some of the women and set the truck ablaze, burning everything to ashes.
Interior Minister Muntaka explained how the attack unfolded.
“The attackers forced the women off the trucks and opened fire indiscriminately. Several individuals, including the drivers, died instantly, and the trucks were set ablaze, leaving the bodies burnt beyond recognition,” he said.
Prof. Aning has called on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and relevant trade unions to urgently establish formal travel advisories and coordinated safety protocols for Ghanaians trading within the Sahel, warning that failure to act could leave more families grieving.
Latest Stories
-
Ghana on track for full-scale tomato production by year-end – Deputy Agric Minister
29 seconds -
Danny Addo to host Undignified 1.0 event and album launch
2 minutes -
Obaapanin Mary Adwoa Ohenewa Awuah
3 minutes -
Afia Adepa Kwarteng thanks God with ‘Oguama Mogya’ mini album after surviving life-threatening surgery
5 minutes -
Mahama consoles families after terrorist attack kills 7 Ghanaian traders in Burkina Faso
9 minutes -
John Jinapor rallies support for Gonjaland Youth Association’s Golden Jubilee Congress in Buipe
10 minutes -
‘We must use this crisis to pivot’ – Mahama urges local processing as cocoa sector reels
13 minutes -
State initiates compensation talks in Latif Iddrisu Police brutality case after eight years
25 minutes -
Gov’t engaging Burkinabe authorities to protect Ghanaian tomato traders – Dumelo
27 minutes -
Tano North residents commend MCE over infrastructure drive
47 minutes -
‘I’m a cocoa farmer too’ — Mahama speaks on price cuts and farmer pain amid crises
51 minutes -
Underground Mining Alliance donates Vein Finder to sickle cell unit of AngloGold Ashanti Health Foundation
52 minutes -
Police re-arrest Abdul-Aziz Iddrisu, suspected killer in Bawku chieftaincy violence
59 minutes -
Diaspora meets home: AkunaPod Retreat sparks new wave of film collaboration
60 minutes -
FDA warns against using ‘cement’ to preserve beans
1 hour
