Audio By Carbonatix
Tunisian coast guard forces recovered the bodies of eight Tunisian migrants whose boat sank at the weekend en route to Italy, while the search continued for six others still missing, a National Guard spokesperson said on Sunday.
Coast guard, military and civil protection teams, backed by two helicopters, continued to search for the missing migrants.
The boat, which set off early on Thursday with 15 mostly young people on board, sank off the Tunisian coast this weekend, and so far only one person had been rescued, the head of a migrant rights group said on Saturday.
Among those on board were seven members of the same family and a man with his pregnant wife, the head of the Tunisian Observatory for Human Rights told Reuters.
The sole survivor said he had been adrift at sea for 48 hours before being rescued by a commercial vessel.
All of the migrants were from the Ben Guerdane area in southeastern Tunisia, and dozens of young people gathered late on Saturday in the town near the Libyan border to demand that search operations be accelerated.
Police fired tear gas to disperse the protesters.
The central Mediterranean route from the North African coast is one of the world's deadliest migration routes, used by migrants from Africa and the Middle East seeking to reach Europe, often in overcrowded or unseaworthy boats.
Latest Stories
-
Galamsey destroys over 100 acres of farmland at Akyem Atobriso
2 minutes -
GRIDCo completes tower replacement on Tema-Achimota transmission line
21 minutes -
Republic Bank-JoyNews Habitat Fair Mini Clinic ends on a high note at Achimota Retail Centre
25 minutes -
7-month-old baby found dead in a drain at Obuasi Old Estate
2 hours -
Tunisia coast guard recovers eight bodies of migrants whose boat sank
2 hours -
One man diagnosed with prostate cancer in the UK ‘every eight minutes’
2 hours -
We couldn’t afford prepaid credit after I lost 2012 election – Obuobia Darko
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Kpando SHS brush aside Abor, Jukwa to storm One-Eighth stage with 32 point gap
3 hours -
Duncan Amoah: Gov’t should create conditions for 24-hour economy, not build markets
3 hours -
JoyNews-Republic Bank Habitat Fair finale turns homeownership dreams into real possibilities
4 hours -
Bamiri chief commissions KG block, guest house to boost education and revenue
4 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Yaa Asantewaa Girls’ going ‘beck’ to Tanoso after Bishop Herman deals them early exit
4 hours -
Data Protection Commission acquires two vehicles to strengthen data protection enforcement
5 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Holy Child School storms back from two-year NSMQ absence to book One-Eighth ticket
6 hours -
GNFS dismisses reports of unpaid 2025 rent allowance
7 hours