Audio By Carbonatix
Prosecutors in Ivory Coast have charged former president Laurent Gbagbo and his wife, Simone, accusing them of economic crimes.
The charges include looting, armed robbery, and embezzlement.
Mr Gbagbo and his wife were arrested in April after a violent five-month election dispute in which about 3,000 people were killed.
They have been under house arrest in separate locations in the north of the country.
Public prosecutor Simplice Kouadio Koffi said Simone Gbagbo was charged on Tuesday and taken into custody, while her husband was charged on Thursday.
Serious allegations
The BBC's John James in Abidjan says the charges against the former president relate to the post-election period when Mr Gbagbo used state funds, including hundreds of millions of dollars from the central bank, in his attempt to stay in power.
He says that by charging them only with economic crimes, the prosecutor is leaving the way open for the International Criminal Court (ICC). The court's judges are currently considering a request by the ICC prosecutor to open an investigation into the post-election violence.
The Ivorian government has requested the ICC's involvement, saying it is not competent to judge the more serious allegations of violent crimes.
Authorities have arrested dozens of people who served under Mr Gbagbo. All except the former leader and his wife had already been charged.
Human rights groups had criticised the government for holding the pair for months without charge.
President Alassane Ouattara has insisted that those on both sides of the political divide would face justice.
The violence in Ivory Coast followed Mr Gbagbo's refusal to accept defeat in presidential elections last November.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Renaming KIA to Accra International Airport key to reviving national airline – Transport Minister
48 minutes -
Interior Minister urges public not to share images of Burkina Faso attack victims
50 minutes -
Unknown persons desecrate graves at Asante Mampong cemetery
58 minutes -
I will tour cocoa-growing areas to explain new price – Eric Opoku
1 hour -
Ghana to host high-level national consultative on use of explosive weapons in populated areas
1 hour -
Daily Insight for CEOs: Leadership Communication and Alignment
1 hour -
Ace Ankomah writes: Let’s coffee our cocoa: My Sunday morning musings
1 hour -
Real income of cocoa farmers has improved – Agriculture Minister
2 hours -
I’ll tour cocoa-growing areas to explain new price – Eric Opoku
2 hours -
Titao attack should be wake-up call for Ghana’s security architecture – Samuel Jinapor
2 hours -
New Juaben South MP Okyere Baafi condemns Burkina Faso attack, demands probe into government response
2 hours -
A/R: Unknown assailants desecrate graves at Asante Mampong cemetery
2 hours -
What is wrong with us: Africans know mining, but do not understand the business and consequences of mining
2 hours -
Ghana Sports Fund begins grassroots field assessment in Volta North, uncovers talent and infrastructure gaps
2 hours -
Persons with disabilities are not objects of pity — Volta Social Welfare Director urges mindset shift
3 hours
